Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipping the stock speedo bracket

Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
teabone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flipping the stock speedo bracket

I've been looking into relocating my speedo. I'm not a fan of the side mount that seems to be most popular as I'd still like to be able to see it

Here's a pic of the stock set-up on my bike now. What I want to do is have the speedo under the handlebars instead of on top of it. I'm wondering if I can't just flip the bracket around. With the teeny risers that are on there now, I think it will clear the gas tank. Can you guys forsee any problems doing this? Is there going to be anything involved other than unplug/disassemble/flip/reassemble/plug back up? Any insights appreciated.

-Teabone

Attached Thumbnails Flipping the stock speedo bracket-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain

Since your concerned about being able to still see it well...with the way the speedo is angled so you can see it now, wouldn't it lay too flat if you flipped it? IMO..if possible unclamp it, flip it around, and go for a quick ride to see if you like it before you take the whole thing apart to flip the face of the speedo. Never looked at a hugger close up, but do your risers go through the bottom of the speedo bracket?

Last edited by tumbleweed883; 11-06-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

hey t-bone... how about you draw a quick paper template on the whole speedo assembly and then use it to determine clearance when you invert the template?... that way you wont have to the laborious dis assembly just to realize it doesn't work... and I believe is going to look great in that configuration...

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you right now it's not going to work. If you notice the top bolts are farther apart then the bottom ones are so they will not up if you try to invert it. I have though about doing this very thing, but it's not as easy as just inverting the speedo braket.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
teabone
Intermediate

Yeah, if I had a bracket that didn't have the holes for the idiot lights, it would work. You can still use the top bolts to mount it, the risers will let it hover just a bit over the handle bar bracket. Problem is, the bracket looks retarded with a bunch of holes punched in it. I'm trying to go for this look. Anyone know if there is a Harley model that comes stock with this setup? Then maybe I could just buy the bracket for that bike and use it on my Sporty...

Attached Thumbnails Flipping the stock speedo bracket-undermount-speedo.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I can tell you right now it's not going to work. If you notice the top bolts are farther apart then the bottom ones are so they will not up if you try to invert it. I have though about doing this very thing, but it's not as easy as just inverting the speedo braket.

but can't you also flip the handlebar base clamp? I believe you can

Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joebotics
but can't you also flip the handlebar base clamp? I believe you can
Thats what I was thinking. Thats why I asked if the risers went through the lower part of the clamp. Never looked that close at a set-up like his so I dont know.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my speedo mounted on the side of the tank & i don not have a problem seeing it at all, I do have the peanut tank tho...before i moved it,i had it mounted to the headlight visor instead of the handlebar clamps. got some spacers & a couple longer bolts that fit the visor at Osh. it moved it down & forward a little. that might acomplish what your going for.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

I took a different approach with the speedo relocation, I removed my front turn signals and used the base to attach the speedo to the lower part of the handlebar:

Last edited by joebotics; 11-06-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:26 PM
teabone
Intermediate

Two problems with flipping the handlebar clamp: 1) I'd have to get taller risers for my handlebars so it would clear the gas tank. 2) I'd have to rip that 100th anniversary badge off the handlebar bracket, which I don't care about, but there's a raised area underneath in the shape of the badge and I don't know if that would look stupid or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flipping the stock speedo bracket