Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Front End Vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nightster Front End Vibration!

Hoping someone has some ideas. Haven't had this bike but for about two months now. I bought it cheap because it's been wrecked once. Nothing major as far as I can tell, front rim was bent a bit, turn signals busted off, and a couple dents in gas tank. Everything else is in excellent shape, it's a 2007 nightster with 12k miles on it. Anyways let me get to the point. The guy I bought the bike from had already bought a front rim off of ebay to replace the bent one. Not the best rim but better than the bent one that was on it. I had a cycle shop down the road replace the rim. They told me it wasn't 100% straight but much better than what was on there. Picked up the bike, a little vibration in front end while riding but nothing major. Very small wobble in front wheel when riding but doesn't effect me much. Here is the problem, I have been getting much harder vibration in the front end when accelerating. Also I have I have noticed over the past week seems like the front end is beginning to vibrate more than it has in the past. I am noticing more of a vibration even when I am not accelerating, when before it was only when I was accelerating that it vibrated. Also can feel it more when making turns. Feels almost like the front wheel is hopping when riding. Any ideas what is going on. I been riding quite a bit and on the highway often and starting to get me a little nervous. I am in construction and can build you a house but not much of a mechanic. I can do all the simpler things oil, plugs ect. but the rest I haven't got much experience. First real bike I have ever had. I had dirt bikes and 4 wheelers when I was a kid but nothing that I ever had to do much work on. I don't mind a bit of vibration but I am nervous about a serious problem when I am on the highway at a higher rate of speed. Appreciate any help and advice you guys have. I could take it to a shop but I really want to learn to work on my bike myself. I do enjoy it and it would be nice to know how to do things myself. Been learning quite a bit so far but not too sure on this issue.

Last edited by TexasBikeBoy; 10-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Many things to check--Steering head bearings, I take it it is a spoked wheel, and it was not true, only alowed a small fraction of runout aswell as lateral runout, wheel out of balanced, tire starting to cup, tire wrong rotation, rubber motor mounts damaged or stabalizer links.

If you want to wrench on your bike best to get a manual, it will have all the specs.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 AM
trib
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike Boy,
First, get rid of that rim and get a good one. That's probably your problem. If the rim is bent, while on the road you will be putting excessive, pounding side load on the wheel bearing. This beats up and destroys the bearing; as the bearing gets worse, the vibration will bet worse and puts even more load on the already failing bearing. Of course Cajun is correct about the other possible causes. As you re-assemble the wheel, make sure you do it right; use good parts.
Best of luck,

Old 10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A slightly warped rim, will cause your tire to wear in unusual ways and amplify other problems. If the original wheel was damaged from an accident, other components may have been damaged. Check the fork tubes for bends. Make sure the triple trees are aligned, the forks may have twisted in the clamps. The steering head bearings may have been damaged or loose.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WRAITH
A slightly warped rim, will cause your tire to wear in unusual ways and amplify other problems. If the original wheel was damaged from an accident, other components may have been damaged. Check the fork tubes for bends. Make sure the triple trees are aligned, the forks may have twisted in the clamps. The steering head bearings may have been damaged or loose.
This would be my guess too. Replace the front wheel and tire. While you're doing that check the rest of the front end.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

ok I was already planning on replacing the front wheel. Just trying to find one for a good price. My main concern is I don't want to have any dangerous problems in the mean time. Forks and trees look straight to me. Motor mounts I haven't checked. I do have the manual though so I should be able to find em. Appreciate the help guys will give you an update after I change the wheel. Think I'm alright to ride a bit until I get a new rim? Not planning any long trips or anything but the occaisional trip to the store and around town.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

one more question... I know my back rotor is slightly warped because it makes a bit of noise if I roll the bike. Can this have any effect as far as vibration as well? Just curious because although the front wheel has a slight wobble it is very minimal. After riding today it really seems as if the vibration is going through the entire bike not just the front end.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 AM
trib
Intermediate

Texas,
Your bike was in a wreck, anything is suspect. Just because you can hear the pads scraping doesn't mean that the rotors are warped enough to give you vibration (although it could) Your best bet is to take the rotor off and check it. While your in there, check the entire caliper/pads as well.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBikeBoy
one more question... I know my back rotor is slightly warped because it makes a bit of noise if I roll the bike. Can this have any effect as far as vibration as well? Just curious because although the front wheel has a slight wobble it is very minimal. After riding today it really seems as if the vibration is going through the entire bike not just the front end.
A warped rotor is not going cause a vibration. It may cause a shudder when you apply the brakes, but you won't be able to feel it because YOUR FRONT WHEEL IS NOT TRUE.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser

You asked if this could be dangerous - hell yes!! If the bike is hopping, jumping, vibrating or doing anything but rolling it could be dangerous.

I'm with all the others and say replace wheel and tire. If it has 12k miles you got most of it anyway.

When my Road King wore out it's first front tire I knew it because as I rolled to a stop the handlebars would try to shake back and forth mildly around 30mph as it slowed. New tire = new bike!! What a differance.

Good Luck and please take care of this before something goes wrong

mowdoc

Quick Reply: Nightster Front End Vibration!