Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My cheapo air cleaner (inspired by Slackster)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My cheapo air cleaner (inspired by Slackster)

I have a winter project bike and needed an air cleaner. I saw Slackster's cheapo air cleaner thread & did the same. Not sure if it's going to stay but I think it looks pretty cool for now...

Here's Slackster's

I didn't have an air cleaner to use for mounting parts like he did so I had to make a couple pieces. I bought a cheapy air cleaner mount for 20 bucks or so and the filter itself cost the same. The rest is from aluminum scrap I had sitting around.

Pics:

Here's the chrome air cleaner/carb mount installed with a spacer I made. It's 1/2" thick. The pic doesn't show the top but I drilled & tapped a hole for a 1/8" NPT fitting to use in the crank case breather plumbing.

This piece was too big to mount the filter to so I turned another piece that bolts to it. In this pic the crank case breather is plumbed. I need to clean this up but it'll work:

Filter installed:

I think it looks good with my home made exhaust.

I also made a cover for it but this piece will have PLAIN JANE engraved on it before I powder coat it mirror black. Plain Jane is the name this bike has picked up. I have alot of work to do to it still but it's nice to see it coming together.

Here's the cover so far:

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 AM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sharp!!! Hows it sound and ride?

Old 11-21-2009, 06:31 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks SWEET, man. Diggin your machine work

question: do the breather hoses need to be that big? seems that everything I've seen is much, much smaller...

Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks.

I'm extremely happy with the way it sounds but I've never ridden this one...not yet atleast. I can't really put gas in the tank yet. I started it a few times with the original tank when I was messing with the exhaust. I got the tank used from Ebay & it has a nipple on the side towards the top that the previous owner (of the tank) plumbed down to the petcock with clear fuel line & used as a fuel gauge. I had one like this before & somehow split the line while out of town & it left me stranded leaking gas everywhere. I'll be removing the nipple & welding the whole shut before I have it repainted the same color of black...so...I want to leave it free of fuel & fumes until then.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NewDude
looks SWEET, man. Diggin your machine work

question: do the breather hoses need to be that big? seems that everything I've seen is much, much smaller...

I don't think they need to be that big. That's just the hose that came with the chrome kit deal. I want to pick up a hard line like Slackster has but weld the drip line hole (lower left in his pic. He used copper line to route the drip below the bike) and drill the middle of it so I can run a 3rd hard line to the tapped hole in the spacer I made. Basically plumbed the same way but thinner hard line.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Racingjake has the same filter. From the look of this pic he used the same sized line but routed it below the bike as well. I do not want to route mine to the ground...but his makes my plumbing look silly. I definitely need to change my lines.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:55 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mreed
I don't think they need to be that big. That's just the hose that came with the chrome kit deal. I want to pick up a hard line like Slackster has but weld the drip line hole (lower left in his pic. He used copper line to route the drip below the bike) and drill the middle of it so I can run a 3rd hard line to the tapped hole in the spacer I made. Basically plumbed the same way but thinner hard line.
rock on, bro

wanna come out to SoCal and do some cool **** for my bike? I keep wanting to put one of them open air cleaners like that on there but I'm not buyin anything for now.

you're welcome to come experiment

and mine's a bottom feeder so you wouldn't have to worry about routing the head vents

Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mreed
Racingjake has the same filter. From the look of this pic he used the same sized line but routed it below the bike as well. I do not want to route mine to the ground...but his makes my plumbing look silly. I definitely need to change my lines.
routing it below definitely looks better!

I might have misunderstood something...which parts did you manufacture yourself?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

The aluminum spacer and the filter adapter that bolts to it. I bought the chrome carb mount & the air cleaner.

I made the cover too but that was 30 seconds with a hole saw & about 2 minutes turning it down to size...

I like the downward plumbing too but I wanted to plumb mine this way because I will be burning off any (I doubt I'll even have any) oil splatter from the crank case vents. I'll just come up with something else. The way it's plumbed it should drain back in. I'll make it look better. I refuse to own a Harley that "marks its spot" lol.

Last edited by mreed; 11-21-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM
SHOAT
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.

Quick Reply: My cheapo air cleaner (inspired by Slackster)