Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflector removal

Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reflector removal

I know how to take them off.The whole hair dryer and dental floss deal.My questions are, Has any removed the reflectors,and why,and is it legal? I have a lot of chrome and I think that would be reflective enough. I think the reflectors are ugly.I put chrome fork lowers on and they came with the reflectors,but I left them off. But I still have them on the rear fender and the sideplates for the back rest. I want to take them off.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take them off...but...haridryer....dental floss? i can see the purpose..but why? use a plastic scraper or one of those plaster deals they use (i have no idea what its called) to get it off...the adhesive comes off super easy..

Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket for removed reflectors, I always take them off. I agree with you, not needed.
As for hair dryer dental floss I have never tried floss, seems to easy to break, I always use fishing line.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member

My bike has been in my attached unheated garage.It is about 42 degrees in there.Should I wait till it warms up or can I put the hair dryer on the cold metal?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

warm it up with the hairdryer then get a flathead screwdriver and be careful, once you get a finger under there they'll come right off. then take a cloth and some goo be gone and voila!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bmxatv
warm it up with the hairdryer then get a flathead screwdriver and be careful, once you get a finger under there they'll come right off. then take a cloth and some goo be gone and voila!

Thanks,I'll try it.Also I like your quote...Pink Floyd Free Four

Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't use that flathead screwdriver as it may dig into the paint/chrome if you pry to hard before the tape warms up. I did mine during the summer, so they were already heated up a bit, and sprayed some WD40 behind the plastic plates to get it to soak into the foam tape to work the adhesive loose while I had a beer & I justed yanked them off by hand. Use the hair dryer & something softer than that screwdriver.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey420
Thanks,I'll try it.Also I like your quote...Pink Floyd Free Four
no prob.......wvhog makes a good point. just be careful, maybe wrap something soft around it first or use something plastic like a bicycle tire removal tool. you can get them for like $1 at your local bike shop and that def. won't scratch the paint.

1,2, free four! hands down the best band that ever walked the face of the earth.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
ff pie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrap some fishing line around your two pointer fingers and put it behind the reflector. saw back and forth and the reflector will come off. use a product like goo-gone to take off any residual adhesive. if they are coming off a painted part of the bike throw some wax on there and you will never know they were there to begin with.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 PM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot of break cleaner sprayed on and they came right off. I grabbed them and twisted back and forth and they popped off and the little bit of 3m tape rolled up nice by scraping with my fingernail.

New pict of my bike soon, as it looks so much better w/o the orange reflectors on the front legs. Next one to go is the one below my tag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reflector removal