Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing battery connector for heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Installing battery connector for heated gear

Is this going to be hard on a sportster? Is there anything I need to know about taking off seat? Accessing the battery? Tools I need?
I realize these are really basic but I do not know where to begin.

Thanks for any help people can provide.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy peazy. Slide the battery out, undo the pos & neg terminals, put the pos side of the harness you get with your heated gear on first, then the neg side. Slide the battery back in and your good to go.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It will be even easier, if you don't try and connect to the negative post. Just connect to the positive post on the battery, and connect the other wire to the ground on the crank case.

It's a five minute job.

Oh, and be sure to put some locktite blue on the screw that holds the seat in place.

Last edited by SportyPig; 01-14-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyPig
It will be even easier, if you don't try and connect to the negative post. Just connect to the positive post on the battery, and connect the other wire to the ground on the crank case.

It's a five minute job.

Oh, and be sure to put some locktite blue on the screw that holds the seat in place.
Sure if you tell me what it is .. They need an girls batting her eyes icon.. So I can use it when I prove how little I know about wrenching or anything remotely close. BUT I will try anything.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Easiest way to tell you is to follow the cable that is connected to the negative post on your battery terminal. It goes pretty much straight down and is bolted to the crankcase on your engine. That ground is located on the right side of the engine.

btw, you're gonna love the heated gear!!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Locktite blue is an adhesive type product that prevents the screw from loosening. Can be purchased at Loew's, Home Depot etc.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

If your bike has a Battery Tender harness already installed, you can plug your heated gear into that connector. You won't need to install anything.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
If your bike has a Battery Tender harness already installed, you can plug your heated gear into that connector. You won't need to install anything.
Don't know.. How will I be able to tell. It was used but got it from the dealer so it is possible. Will the tail stick out of the battery compartment or will I still have to take off the seat and the cover to see if it has a battery tender harness attached?

Thanks guys for your help.. There are many things I am very talented at this just isnt one of them (yet)

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

After that comment that you try anything, I'm thinking about riding up to Maryland, and helping you with this little project. LOL

If it has a battery tender hookup you will see it once you remove the battery cover. Depending on the hookup and the gear, you might need a plug converter. Not all of them are interchangeable.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyPig
After that comment that you try anything, I'm thinking about riding up to Maryland, and helping you with this little project. LOL

If it has a battery tender hookup you will see it once you remove the battery cover. Depending on the hookup and the gear, you might need a plug converter. Not all of them are interchangeable.

Quick Reply: Installing battery connector for heated gear