Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Clutch Alert!

Just a head's up on a real problem with the Sporty clutch. The stock design uses an additional spring plate in the center of the clutch pack. It is a double plate with small springs between the main plate. These plates are all held together by brass rivets.

Those rivets are the weakest link in the entire drive mechanism! My first clutch went out around 25,000 miles. At first I just thought I could adjust it. Could never get it adjusted right. Finally took it to the dealer (it was still under warranty) and they thought they could adjust it. After working with it for about 4 hours, the dealer decided something inside was screwed up. And they ordered everything inside that could possibly be wrong so they could make a quick repair for me.

Two weeks later, the parts were all in, and I was able to make the trip to that particular dealer. Once they opened up the clutch basket, it was a surprise to all. Everyone of those rivets and springs had come out, and had been floating around inside. That had caused the clutch hub and Shell to also be trashed. They had not ordered a shell or hub, and I couldn't fault them for that.

When my last clutch started failing, it was showing the same signs (after 40,000 miles on the second clutch). The signs of the center spring plate coming apart is that the clutch will both slip and drag. In theory that's impossible, but that's how the clutch reacts to those extra parts floating around inside the clutch basket.

The only clutch I could find that doesn't use that same center spring plate design was the HD Screamin Eagle clutch. It replaces that center spring plate with 2 extra friction plates and steel plates. Word of caution if you deside to go this route....that is one freekin stiff clutch! Part of the reason for the center spring plate design was to make the clutch pull easier, and then the outter spring also has to be stiffer on the Screamin Eagle clutch. Between those two, it makes for a very hard clutch pull, also a very reactive clutch. The friction zone is small on the SE clutch. Once you start letting it out, that baby will GO.

This is a picture of most of the parts I dug out from the center spring plate when I replaced it last week.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Alert!-center-plate.jpg  

Last edited by SportyPig; 02-13-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info. Isn't there an upgrade rivet available? If not is there some available mod that produces any easier pull for the SE?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more question. I'm on a '08 1200, do (did) we have the same clutch?

Old 02-13-2010, 02:27 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm not sure about the 08 bike. When they went to EFI in 07, they had to increase the size of the Stator. That may have caused a change in the clutch as well. I know this applies to 04 - 06. Even know of one other person that almost had the same problem.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

That sucks!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
krazykat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch drag problem

Thanks for the info....I am currently experiencing the very same problem on my '06 1200xlc. It's gotta be that spring in the center. I kept asking people and most where saying it's my adjuster....but most of those people don't know anything about a Sportster....they all have a Big Twin....and all say it's NOT the clutch. I can adjust it...and then it's okay for a spell....but then the clutch drags and the adjustment goes way out....like 3/8th's at the clutch lever. It gets had to find neutral to the point I have to shut down the motor to get it into neutral! Hopefully my clutch basket isn't bad and I can just replace the offending parts. I think it's good..I haven't been riding the bike since this problem occurred. In any event...I think I know where the problem lies..and I can tear it apart and do what I need to do. Again...thanks for the info!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That SUCKS!!

Mine just got very loose, never fell apart.
The Barnett part DS223739 repalced the spring plate with another steel plate. It looks like it is now obsolete. . . . Nope found it
Sportster (91 & later) and Buell (91-02)
307-30-10011(K)
307-30-20011(CF)
Kevlar or Carbon Fiber Extra-Plate Clutch Kit
Consists of nine friction plates and eight steel drive plates. Adds 12% more surface area to clutch pack. (Note: Double steel drive plate not used with this kit.)

http://www.barnettclutches.com/produ...02)&clutch_cc=

ps. Due to the lack ofspring plate compressing the extra plate kit is a real pain to get the spring plate back on.

Last edited by Stefan; 04-24-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Sarin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my clutch has been slipping a bit recently, not bad though (barely noticable). I am going to replace it soon before it becomes a problem. I just wanted to confirm that if I got an extra plate kit (like the Barnnet Kit above)this would eliminate the riveted plate setup that appears to be the problem in the OP? Thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had the same thing happen with my stock clutch at about 25-30 thousand miles. i was pissed, the dealer told me the same thing...told me they used to have the same setup in the BT's but changed them over and for some reason the factory never did with the sportys. Barnett is another aftermarket clutch option that is a great clutch...i plan on goin that route after this clutch goes (of course i did all my research after i had another stock clutch put in...dumb!)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I just had to have my clutch replaced a few weeks ago for this issue-the spring plate rivits breaking, but it did not hurt the basket. Mine did not slip, it would always stay engaged even with the clutch lever pulled all the way in and adjustments would not help. My bike is an 07 with 14.4 on the clock. I had the SE clutch installed and it does not have that junk spring plate design. The part # is 38002-04 Fits 91 and later XL and XR's and 94-97 Evo 1340's $199.99.

Some say the SE clutch is hard to pull, but I don't think is much harder then stock, but it does slip less when you let it out due to 9 friction plates vs 8 on the stock set up.

I love my sporty, but by 14K I have had to replace the rocker box gaskets and the clutch WTF? and my bike is serviced up to par. I did get the bike with 9600 miles on it, but it was well taken care of or so it seamed.

Quick Reply: Clutch Alert!