Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Small leak from chain inspection window (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/47829-small-leak-from-chain-inspection-window.html)

Tralfaz 07-26-2006 01:15 PM

Small leak from chain inspection window

With some of the posts I've seen talking about oil leaks, I've been on the lookout for any spots below my bike and discovered some today. However, when I started looking for what might be leaking, I noticed that it seemed like the fluid had leaked out the lower edge of the primary chain inspection cover, and then worked it's way back toward the tranny inspection cover, and down. It doesn't look like that much fluid has leaked, so I'm wondering if this is just something that happens during the breakin period, or if possibly the tranny was just topped off a little high when the bike was set up. I've put a little over 500 miles on it now and hadn't noticed this happening before, so it does seem strange.

Any thoughts, ideas, or observations from the past?

notorious 07-26-2006 03:19 PM

RE: Small leak from chain inspection window

Remove, clean and retorque.

OldFenderGuy 07-26-2006 03:20 PM

Not sure if you have taken off the primary chain inspection cover (shown below), but there is a thin full length rubber gasket behind it. The gasket is 'solid' except for 2 holes for the mounting bolts.

When I first picked up my 2005 1200C there was a very small leak coming from the bottom of the cover. I removed the cover and the gasket, and cleaned the surface area where the gasket sits. I also put a thin, single wrap of teflon sealer tape around the threads on both mounting bolts.

The leak problem was solved, even after removing the inspection cover numerous times.

I've verified the fact that after draining the tranny/primary it takes exactly 1 quart of fluid to refill. Because of that I don't remove the derby cover when making fluid changes and fight with the "O" ring. I just remove the primary inspection cover and gasket, and pour in 1 quart of fluid.

Just make sure the gasket seating area is clean and torque both mounting bolts in small amounts equally until they are both snug. You might not need to put a small wrap of teflon tape on the bolt threads, but it won't hurt anything...

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/1200-inspectioncover.jpg

Tralfaz 07-26-2006 03:47 PM

Excellent. I figured it was just something simple like a bad seal on the gasket. I just wanted to make sure it was nothing more serious. Now the trick is that I need to dig up a torque screwdriver someplace, though I imagine I can get by without it for this task. I hadn't quite gotten around to getting together my motorcycle toolset yet, so most of what I have is more oriented toward cars.

Thank you for the help on this one.

OldFenderGuy 07-26-2006 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

Excellent. I figured it was just something simple like a bad seal on the gasket. I just wanted to make sure it was nothing more serious. Now the trick is that I need to dig up a torque screwdriver someplace, though I imagine I can get by without it for this task. I hadn't quite gotten around to getting together my motorcycle toolset yet, so most of what I have is more oriented toward cars.

Thank you for the help on this one.
Well (shame on me) but I very seldom use an actual 'torque wrench' unless rebuilding engines, transmissions, etc..

Normally on "bolt on" stuff I just use a little common sense and 'snug' the bolts down until they are tight.

Just make sure that you have a good Hex/Torx sockets, as it will make life much easier. ;)

Tralfaz 07-26-2006 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Well (shame on me) but I very seldom use an actual 'torque wrench' unless rebuilding engines, transmissions, etc..

Normally on "bolt on" stuff I just use a little common sense and 'snug' the bolts down until they are tight.

Just make sure that you have a good Hex/Torx sockets, as it will make life much easier. ;)

Yeah, I have to admit that, before skimming through some of the service manual, I had never really thought about torque on screw before. As you said, it's just a matter of common sense and knowing when tight enough is tight enough. I have only ever used a torque wrench when working on a car engine, not a torque screwdriver. Of course, that was also working on an iron block, not aluminum, and you really have to try to strip a bolt or screw on an iron block.

So, I'll just have to throw caution to the wind and just do it the old school way tonight. heh heh.

caibx 07-30-2022 03:50 AM

inspection window on primary cover

What is the torque setting for the screws holding the window
thanks
groundhog

Andy from Sandy 07-30-2022 05:45 AM

What year is your bike. At some point before 2017 HD changed the gasket from rubber to cardboard.

I have had a rubber one deform and no matter after that it would not keep shape and hold a seal.

Torque for screws is 100-120 in-lbs. I prefer Nm as there is no confusion between inches and feet. I use 12Nm which is the mid point.

caibx 07-30-2022 05:51 AM

mine is a '12 1200 C. it has a cardboard gasket
groundhog

Steve Sportster 07-30-2022 06:21 AM

I used to have a 2017 XL1200T Sportster. I let a HD local dealer do the initial 1000-mile Service. A day or two later I noticed a significant oil leak when about 20 miles from home. I called the dealer and they came out with a trailer, picked the bike up and went back to the shop. Turns out the tech who did the service installed the wrong gasket on the shin inspection cover. Even the dealers can screw that one up.