Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Nightster Kickstand Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Nightster Kickstand Question

While stopping at a restaurant today, i scraped coming into the lot (high centered) and it ripped off my kickstand spring.

i obviously see the bottom mount, but not where it attaches at the top.

i even checked my GF's 883 and it has a different setup.

lastly, when reattaching the spring, do i want the kickstand up? any tricks?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser

well ****, i think i see what happened. i must have broken off the nub of the top spring mount- it should have a groove at the end, but there is nothing left above where the groove should be.

Well this sucks, any ideas on how to fix that because it is a welded part at the very bottom of the bike. aftermarket options?

seems like a poor design to me... because i think that peg drags during a hard lean so eventually it would shave down and fail?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM
mikey120
Intermediate

hello fellow member of the broken kickstand. i saw you post and said to myself no way did this happen to somebody the same day it happened to me. i was going over a speed bump and blew everything apart. mine looks like it has threads in the hole but i am not to sure i wasnt very happy at the time. there is a frame brace pretty close to the orignal mount i drilled a hole in that and put the spring there it holds it up but it does drag now when i make turns. i will let you know when i come up with a fix on moday when i get back to work.
mike

Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think others have had a new tab welded back on....or you could drill & tap a hole in the frame so you could put a bolt/screw for the anchor point.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same **** happened to me last year and harley wanted $375 to put the nub back in place. I said forget that! what i did and it seems to be working great was I drilled a hole through the brace closest to the nub and put an I-bolt and that works like a charm. I did have to grind down the spot where the nub was at to keep the spring from catching in that spot. after that i cleaned it all up and put some gloss black paint to make it match. As of today i have had no issues.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser

ah so it is a shitty design- i am glad i am not alone. i also will refuse to pay harley to put a nub back on for $375, that is f-in ludicrous!

Crazytrain, that is a good idea- i think i will just cut off the nub and put a bolt in. did you put the spring back on with the kickstand up or down? was that part easy?

Mikey, let me know what you end up doing. We may as well cut off the nub, put a bolt in and see if it works... it can't get much worse LOL

Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Lord Bundrick
ah so it is a shitty design- i am glad i am not alone. i also will refuse to pay harley to put a nub back on for $375, that is f-in ludicrous!

Crazytrain, that is a good idea- i think i will just cut off the nub and put a bolt in. did you put the spring back on with the kickstand up or down? was that part easy?

Mikey, let me know what you end up doing. We may as well cut off the nub, put a bolt in and see if it works... it can't get much worse LOL
I had to put it back on while it was in the up position. I had the wife hold up the stand while i connected the spring the stand first then used a screwdriver to work the spring onto the I- bolt. Becareful not to stretch the spring it will cause the stand to be loose and it will make one hell of a rattling noise. I did all of this while the bike was jacked up with my bike jack so i could get underneath better. some people may think this is very easy but if you ask me it was a pain in the ****! don't have time right now due to 2 sick kids but tomorrow after work i'll try and post a couple of pics so you can see just what i did.

Last edited by crazytrain69; 03-15-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser

that would be awesome if you can get pics whenever. i wonder if i can use my buddy's dirtbike jack?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Sorry i haven't had the chance to post a pic yet the kid has been in hospital with
Phenomena As soon as i can i'll get it done. Most likely saturday or sunday.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 PM
mikey120
Intermediate

hey guys i am sorry it took so long to reply. i drilled out the remaining threads and then welded in a new bolt. in hindsight crazytrain had the right idea with drilling a hole in the brace for a bolt much better idea than i had. if i happen to do this again that is what i will do.
cheers
mike