Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Chain Inspection Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
m3apx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primary Chain Inspection Cover

Two questions for an '08 Nightster:
1- I changed the primary oil a couple of weeks ago and noticed this morning that oil has seeped out of the primary chain inspection cover. Not a drip - just a bit of a seep. I didn't think that the gasket had to be changed when removing the cover to add the primary oil, but perhaps I'm wrong. This was the first time I had did the oil change myself. Does that gasket need to be replaced each time?

2- what's the best way to clean up the oil on the primary cover? I haven't found any good way yet to clean up the gray "powdercoated" covers on the Nightster - nothing I've used to date is able to clean up whatever stains are on the covers (oil, grease, etc).

Thanks, Ron.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock inspection gasket is crap, they all leak. Use a little silicone on the gasket. Brake cleaner will remove the oil from the engine cases.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never use any brake cleaner on any painted surface just to be safe. It even cautions you on the brake cleaner label not to get it on a painted surface. You can do what ever you want to with your bike but I would TEST it out on something else other than your primary cover first before I started using it. I understand that Powdercoating is a process that is different than paint but I would still be careful and check it out first before using the brake cleaner on it.
I have not had any oil leaking from any of my inspection covers over the years on any of my Sportsters. I have never replaced any of the inspection gaskets. I have only had to replace the primary gasket whenever I have had to remove the primary cover. On the derby cover over the clutch hub, there are built in pins that help hold the gasket in place. If the gasket is not placed in the pins or the gasket moves out of place while replacing the derby cover, it can leak some oil out. I would just remove the cover that is leaking and re-inspect the gasket to make sure that it is not broken or to see if it is just out of place and if the gasket is in need of replacing, then buy a new one and if it is just out of place then I would try to reseat the gasket into the grove and replace the cover carefully back in place. Good luck with your oil leak and ride safe out there.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The gasket doesn't need to be replaced with each primary oil change. At least the older rubber gaskets don't. I still have the original gasket in my bike, with almost 70,000 miles. Never had a leak.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using non-chlorinated brake cleaner will not harm the powder coating used on the engine. I use on the bikes that I detail. 07 and newer inspection plate gaskets are paper, not the blue silicone rubber.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '07 has a blue rubber gasket. I have had it off and on several times and never had any leaks. Did you also remember that there are rubber o-rings on the bolts? Maybe one of those got lost? If not, I'd just say the gasket is in there crooked or got damaged.
Did you try Simple Green to remove the oil stains? That stuff usually does a pretty good job of cleaning things up.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple Green will remove the oil. Don't let it sit on the paint. Just spray it on and rub it into the oil, then rinse it off.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue with that gasket last season and I had trans fluid all over. The way that gasket sits in there is junk-wish is was an O-ring like my step dad's 02 883 has. I change that gasket every time I change the trans fluid and so far it has not leaked. Just go to the HD dealer and get the gasket it's under two bucks. Now you will have to drain all the trans fluid or pull the derby cover to make sure the fluid level is correct since you do not know how much you lost at this point and do not want to over fill it. I have even been told that a few oz under is bette then a few over on that fluid.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would he need to drain it? If he were to remove the inspection plate to put on a new gasket he could check the fluid level as per the service manual specks. If he needed to add some he could. That's what I would do.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by medic2931
Why would he need to drain it? If he were to remove the inspection plate to put on a new gasket he could check the fluid level as per the service manual specks. If he needed to add some he could. That's what I would do.
Well you can not see the fluid level from the chain inspection cover hole-only from pulling the derby cover.

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Inspection Cover