Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine or primary noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

First, congratulations on resurrecting a 5 year old thread.

You can't check the primary chain by pulling the primary cover, as you have to completely loosen the chain tensioner to get the cover off. All you have to do is remove the chain inspection cover (2 screws).

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM
samefly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't it be that your primary chain needs to be adjusted? If there's too much play the sound you hear could be the chain hitting the inside of your gearbox, steadily chipping away at it. Look into that.

There are a ton of vids on YouTube on how to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_sa_S3plos

I'm sure there are how tos on here as well. Good luck and hope everything works out for all of you

Last edited by samefly; 07-11-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
First, congratulations on resurrecting a 5 year old thread.

You can't check the primary chain by pulling the primary cover, as you have to completely loosen the chain tensioner to get the cover off. All you have to do is remove the chain inspection cover (2 screws).

+1

Wouldn't hurt to make sure the gas tank mounting bolts are tightened to spec.

Check the gas cap and maybe a couple other things to make sure they are not loose.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
skypilot101
Intermediate
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info everyone. And yep, will double check those tank bolts. I just had it off, so.................. (damn, that would be embarassing if they were the problem!)

Ride safe!
Cowboy

Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
skypilot101
Intermediate
Default Damn....Well, at least I know.

OK. I let the bike run and went all over it, using a screwdriver for a stethiscope. Lots of noises in that engine and primary, but none that sounded particularly bad, and none that matched what I was hearing while riding. Put the bike up on my lift and did more checking. Primary chain adjustment looked reasonable, so I ruled that out.

So then I start looking for loose stuff and after some searching, I was totally surprised to find the rear exhaust flange loose. No retaining nuts or anything. It was rattling around against the rear cylinder, and the exhaust was being held in place with the pressure from the rear mounts. Amazing.

The pipe stayed in place, though, and I've been riding like that for a while. From outward appearance, the retaining hardware hasn't been there for a while. The pipes were on the bike when I got it (used) from the dealer, and it was traded in just the way I got it. I'm guessing the previous owner just didn't tighten the damn things up when he put the pipes on. Or ????

Anyway, after some new stainless locknuts and some Loctite, things are as they should be and the loud rattle is gone. Now all I can hear is the regular Sportster racket!

Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM
81ironsporty
Intermediate

sorry if it seems like i just hijacked someone's threed..im not sure of the rules.but my question is the same as here and im afraid to f*k up my motor.my motor has noise also.not knowing anything about my xlh1000. it sounds like there is no freakin oil in mine its so noisey.. it seems like it might be the generator but then it sounds like its coming from the pistons. im afraid to ride it. i see everyone says its the nature of the beast but hell i don't want to f*/k it up... i dont have a video camera to video it. and no friends to stop by and check it out..any help would be great... and again sorry to steal from someone's threed.. thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 AM
haggis
6th Gear

your not alone being worried about the engine noise on the sporster, mine is 883 with 1000 miles on clock and having converted [ i think] from a honda shadow, quiet and smoothe, this is a shock.sounds like a bag of nails churning around in a lawnmower....i know you guys say its normal.... but wow what a shock....as for the bike its magic, rough, agile, full of soul, bum aching, fun.
Get used to it I hear yoy say. ok as long as it is ok???? Shame it spoils the harley sound though....put other exhausts on , ok in time, only 2 days old....
Pete

Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
81ironsporty
Intermediate

yep i had a xj750r and it was smooth and quiet, thats all i knew. i guess i'll break out the headphones..
jp

Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Big AL 76
Advanced

I posted almost this same question maybe 2 weeks ago. Many on here said it's just the nature of the beast and these bikes are just loud and make noise. I came off of an 02 ninja and was not used to any bike noise lol. So to be safe I took it to a dealership where I didn't buy the bike and had their tech look at it and take it for a ride and said it's normal and get out and ride...

Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
XTsHOG
Tourer

I got stung a few times on metrics. Cuz it was so quiet I would hit the starter again. At least now I know it's running !!!!

Quick Reply: engine or primary noise