Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/502953-what-happened-to-customizing-your-bike.html)

snacks63 04-14-2010 08:12 PM

what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike

seems with all the 48 hype , people want to take there allready production bike and turn it into another production bike ,just want to see more custom work ,isnt that what its all about, doing new things and feeding off everyone and there ideas,i dont need to go to the harley website to get my ideas i want to see them on the road ,,,what do you guys think

BassCatcher 04-14-2010 08:31 PM

I guess that depends on where you are coming from. To me, customizing my bike means making it more personal to me. I got all kinds of crap on my bike that tailors it to my tastes. Coffee cup holder, GPS, V&H pipes, stuff like that.

Structurally I have no real desire to turn the bike into something other than what it is. That's just me though.

snacks63 04-14-2010 08:39 PM

thats just what i mean, you made it your own, looks good and original not just some add for harley

ernofsteel007 04-14-2010 08:46 PM

gotta point, but to new riders everything is brand new, never before seen and they'll spend the $$ to turn 1 OEM into another OEM thinking to themselves 'this is so badazz! this is just OCC on the TV!' after they really get involved into customizations and start to become informed on whats out there then they're like 'WTF i spent 2k on a wide tire kit when i coulda gotten a complete rigid/softail frame for alot less!?!' and start calculating the amount they wasted on basically on f--kall BS to compare that against the amount what a wide glide, a springer, billet rims, killer tins. so give the new riders a break they'll be kicking themselves in the ass good enough down the road... or they'll be onto bike #2,3,4 blowing thousands to turn more OEM into yet another OEM thinking 'this is so badazz! this is just like OCC on the TV!'

veritas.archangel 04-14-2010 08:56 PM

I said something about this elsewhere. It used to be there was one bike, and you did what you could to it to make it do what you want. There weren't sportbikes/cruisers/tourers/etc. If that's what you wanted, you changed the bike for whatever purpose. With the Sportster, that's what you had (883 or 1200). Now we have the Custom, the Low, the Roadster, The Sport, the Nightster, the Iron, the 48, and the XR.

Good Time Gang 04-14-2010 09:04 PM

I ended up with my sportster in a round about way. I have spent all winter trying to think of ways to make it more like me. i have to admit, if i work the bike over like i am planning it will look a lot like a nightster. i just like that chopped and bobbed look. plans for mine as of now are mini apes next month and a solo, or spring solo seat in june, with a chopped fender, side brake/license and bullet blinkers. hate to say it, but other than the larger tank that was already on it and the miss match rims, it will be the same. I really have not been around enough or seen enough to come up with other ideas. :icon_bricks:

scarpetta 04-14-2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by snacks63 (Post 6567981)
just want to see more custom work ,isnt that what its all about

First off, I'm not slamming you about your comment but I have to disagree. I think "what its all about" is enjoying the road on 2 wheels. I think Harley has just put there ears to the ground and eyes on the street in that alot of what they did to the 48 were standard mods being done to the Iron. The 48 is what made me get off the ricer and get a Harley and I can say I haven't regretted it for even a second. I have a list of things Id like to do to the bike to "make it mine" but I'm glad that I was able to get a big chunk of what I like in a bike off the show room floor.

I off road my Jeep wrangler and have done alot of work to it to make it mine. but I tell ya what, if jeep came out with a wrangler model with 35's, stuby HD front and rear bumpers, winch, quick disco sway bars, a 6" long arm lift, winch, and lights all over the friggin place they would sell the s%!t outa them.

I say good job Harley, sales are low and your trying something new. Maybe it sells and maybe it dont but I love mine.

snacks63 04-14-2010 09:55 PM

i understand your point but i think your missing mine,i didnt say the 48 sucks or the nightster sucks im saying its kinda wierd to take a nightster and turn it into a 48 ,its just strange to me,i would just trade my bike in on one, instead of paying all that money to convert to a stock set up when you could spend all that money on custom s**t and its just my opinion, just looking to talk about my views and the views of others

ernofsteel007 04-14-2010 10:05 PM

your right but talking to new riders is like talking to a 12 step program alcoholic, they all seem to read from the same script and will hear nothing other than the 12 steps repeated.
most of wake up to what oblivious fools they been, how much $$ they pissed into the wind later on and realise when you piss into the wind its blown all your face.. or they move to a new bike n do it again 'this is so badazz, its just like OCC on TV'... LMAO

scarpetta 04-14-2010 10:06 PM

your right

Your right, I did miss understand ya. I see your point now and agree. Id just trade in and get what I wanted rather than modding stock to look like another stocker since you will probably pay the same or more in the long run. To each his/her own though.