Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Sportster rear fender Chop (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/505108-sportster-rear-fender-chop.html)

Stevaki 04-20-2010 05:38 AM

Sportster rear fender Chop

Hey guys, I'm thinking of chopping my rear fender. Anybody have any suggestions on where and how. Maybe some pictures too.

scorchedearthpolicy 04-20-2010 06:01 AM

Good question! My cousin wants me to chop his rear fender too.

kahaone 04-20-2010 07:05 AM

Use masking tape to cover the area where you want to cut and draw it out. That will give you an idea of what you want.
If it were me, I'd cut it different than the Nightster/Iron/48 fender. There is already about 6 billion fenders cut that way. Make it different.

michael95688 04-21-2010 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did mine on the bike with a fine jig saw, blue tape protecting the paint. It took about 15 minutes. Nothing fancy but I did get rid of that monster tail light...

Attachment 539601

Bobber Jake 12-18-2010 08:08 AM

I am gonna revive this thread. I want to do something with my rear fender. I do not want to just bob it cuz that has become to common. I was gonna do a bob tail but I want something custom. I have to be able to put a 2 up seat back on to take my old lady out when she deserves it. :) So I am looking for some pics or ideas. I am thinking of bringing it to a point but wanna see your ideas. Thanks.

12-18-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bobber Jake (Post 7669995)
I am gonna revive this thread. I want to do something with my rear fender. I do not want to just bob it cuz that has become to common. I was gonna do a bob tail but I want something custom. I have to be able to put a 2 up seat back on to take my old lady out when she deserves it. :) So I am looking for some pics or ideas. I am thinking of bringing it to a point but wanna see your ideas. Thanks.

I did that, but didn't like it (probably due to my shitty skillz), so I just cut it straight across.

DeD Fred 12-18-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bobber Jake (Post 7669995)
I have to be able to put a 2 up seat back on to take my old lady out .

I used a Nightster take off fender, and can switch between seats. I just installed both seat anchors.

Still got both 2008 "C" fenders, got no use for them, if any one wants them to chop up. PM me an offer.

TennesseeMustangPerf 12-18-2010 09:16 AM

I wonder about going the other route and putting a tail dragger on it? Wonder how that would look?

By the way, if you plan on chopping the fender, here is a tip from a LOT of experience! Locate your center line, then draw out where you want to make the cut on half of the fender. Trace the pattern out on a piece of paper, then flip it over and transfer the outline to the other side. It will be perfectly symmetrical.

kahaone 12-18-2010 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had cut my fenders this winter before paint (which is still ongoing!!). I did a cut that ended in a point on both front and rear fenders. But I did trim the rear fender smooth with a curved end, definitly not an ugly straight cut! Here is a pic of the front, but I may still cut this smooth also.
Attachment 538268

HOTLAP 12-18-2010 02:16 PM

I used thin black pin stripe to mark the cut then put masking tape on top to protect the paint, I could still see the pinstripe thru the masking tape.
I cut it with a dremel type tool following the pinstripe, took about ten minutes.
Then I just used the chrome door trim stuff for cars to cap the end.
You can see the end result in my gallery below my signature.