Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you take care of flat black paint??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

About the only thing to do is a "hot" blend on the clear...but that is left for a decent painter

Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
MicOnti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea its not that bad but its my first blemish and you know how that goes. I'll try and get a picture up by tomorrow, thanks!!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pirate Boy
Leave it dirty and ride the **** out if it :-) I feel the opposite I think denim is VERY easy to care for . You don't have to worry about shining up the paint and it looks better with age imo.
When I do clean mine and it isn't often I use honda detailed (spray and wipe ) its kinda a wax but u can use it on everything . It make the tank and fenders look like brand new .
Ride Safe
Pirate
+1 good advice, if the wear n tear gets too much after awhile i've seen guys just redo the tins powdercoat flat black and that sh-t doesn't scratch or f--kall, its a belief of mine these matte/denims are a spray paint copy of a flat powdercoat job.
powdercoating is fairly easy with a cheapazz $100 ebay gun, cheapazz ebay IR gun, jug of acetone and ANY oven that'll reach 400º fahrenheit. i personally have powdercoated mosta my work stuff, house stuff (as long as the lady o the house don't know) but i'm just experimenting on HD parts from a 883 i'm rebuilding. heres a powdercoat site w/forumhttp://powderbuythepound.com/catalog/

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior

oh yeah if you want yer stuff to look like a pro shop powdercoated it sandblast your stuff before hand, i use a $100 tabletop sandblast cabinet, thehttp://powderbuythepound.com/catalog/ has a link to its powdercoat forum for tipsn advice or walk throughs by pro shops

Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the denim finish as well and am a little paranoid about the care. I did go to the stealer and ask about what is recommended. They basically told me to never buff or rub the bike when washing it because it will rub the denim into more of a polished finish. Then you'll loose the denim look. I use the S&P 500 touchless stuff to get most the grime off and then just blot dry with a microfiber cloth.

As far as the buffed spot, I don't know if I'd mess with it anymore. You'll probably just make it worse. Again, paranoid, so I make sure that nothings rubbing the tank or fender when I'm riding.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Erno... those were some genius recommendations!.. I will certainly look into it!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
MicOnti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live and learn I guess. .. thanks for the tips

Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MicOnti
Yea its not that bad but its my first blemish and you know how that goes. I'll try and get a picture up by tomorrow, thanks!!
Well, it's alll downhill now... Yeah, I know, and at least you caused it and not some friend or girlfriend. The first week I had my brand spankin' new Ultra, my IPod slipped out of my hands and landed right on the tank...doink! Chipped the paint about the size of pencil tip. I still look at it every time I ride, wash, walk by, sneeze....but I remember it was the first week of having my brand spankin' new bike!

Either way, good luck with it. RIDE ON!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley sells the denim clear coat in a rattle can. It's a special order item.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 AM
fd2blk
Advanced

I am going to try the matt adative with the clear in the next month or sp so we shall see how it goes

Quick Reply: how do you take care of flat black paint??