Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a Sundowner and it doesn't fit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Trainwrcked
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Sundowner and it doesn't fit...

So, I have a 06 883c and I bought a Sundowner seat today for the trip up to the Blessing of the Bikes this weekend. My wife picked it up for me at the stealership and brought it home for I was working. Was all excited for the comfy ride and put it on and it doesn't seem to fit?! If I line up the rear screw hole in the fender the seat does not sit against the tank. Also, the bolt that sits underneath the seat doesn't "lock" into place if the screwhole is lined up. If I push it against the tank, the bolt locks, but the screwhole is like 2 inches off. I am having a hard time believing this to be correct. Any suggestions besides take it back to the stealer? I checked the part number on the HD website, and the product number on the box and on the seat itself...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

I don't have that exact seat, but when I installed my new Mustang seat it did not line up on the seat post like the stock seat did. It actually isn't suppposed to fit that way, your just install the tounge and groove, push it forward a little, put in the rear screw and it's done. Perhaps your seat is also built like this? Just an idea. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainwrcked
So, I have a 06 883c and I bought a Sundowner seat today for the trip up to the Blessing of the Bikes this weekend. My wife picked it up for me at the stealership and brought it home for I was working. Was all excited for the comfy ride and put it on and it doesn't seem to fit?! If I line up the rear screw hole in the fender the seat does not sit against the tank. Also, the bolt that sits underneath the seat doesn't "lock" into place if the screwhole is lined up. If I push it against the tank, the bolt locks, but the screwhole is like 2 inches off. I am having a hard time believing this to be correct. Any suggestions besides take it back to the stealer? I checked the part number on the HD website, and the product number on the box and on the seat itself...

I'd say they sold you the wrong model (part number) seat.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Trainwrcked
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
I'd say they sold you the wrong model (part number) seat.
That's what I thought, but the number on the box and the sticker on the seat say 51507-04. According to the harley website, that is the correct part number. I didn't know if it was just me or they screwed up

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 4.5 gallon Gas Tank on the '06 XL883C Custom Sportster uses a smaller Sundowner seat than one for a Sportster with a 3.3 gallon Gas Tank. If the seat is not properly placed on the post, with the tongue inside the bracket at the end of the Gas Tank, the rear seat bracket will not line up correctly.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Trainwrcked
Intermediate

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought there was only one option for gas tanks on the customs. I know there are two different sizes for the sportsters, but I thought only the peanut tank came on the Customs?!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainwrcked
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought there was only one option for gas tanks on the customs. I know there are two different sizes for the sportsters, but I thought only the peanut tank came on the Customs?!
You thought wrong. The 04up Custom is the one model that DOES NOT come with a peanut tank. The Custom has a 4.5 gal tank. The peanut tanks are 3.3 gal or smaller.

Just wondering, if you've ever filled your gas tank????

Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Trainwrcked
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
You thought wrong. The 04up Custom is the one model that DOES NOT come with a peanut tank. The Custom has a 4.5 gal tank. The peanut tanks are 3.3 gal or smaller.

Just wondering, if you've ever filled your gas tank????
Yes, I have . Oh well. Long of the short, the dealer put the wrong part number on the seat.