Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster or Forty Eight ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM
NorCalCruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster or Forty Eight ???

Looking at getting a new Sportster but cant decide on the Nightster or the Forty Eight. I like that the Forty Eight comes stock with forward control, but I dislike the small tank. I like the Nighster other than the mid controls and the boots on the front forks. If you were to choose between these two bikes which would you choose and why. What do you like or dislike between these two bikes. If you already own one of these what are your likes and dislikes. I have sat on the Nightster in the dealership and it feels comfortable, but have not tried the Forty Eight none of the dealers around here have any in stock.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nightster mid controls, longer range on a tank of fuel.

48 love the fat front tire and no boots on the front forks. Tank looks good but to small.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

First of all it depends on what You like, not me or anyone else here. However I did have a '09 Nightster so will give you my feedback (lucky you, LOL!).

Here's the easy part: the seats & shocks on both suck.

I replaced the rear shocks on my Nightster w/ 12" Progressive 412s & put in Progressive's standard length fork springs-big improvements. I also added forward controls as I felt too cramped on it (5'9" w/34" inseam, weight 195). I also had the dealer put on a HD 2up seat & it was a little more comfy than the stock seat (plus I liked putting my duffle on the seat rather than the fender).

I really like the fat front end on the 48, my preferred dealer had 2 on Saturday, sold 7 so far.

It'd be a wash on replacing the shocks/seats. Cheaper to buy the 48 & put a bigger tank on it than buying a Nightster & putting on the fat front end & forwards if you decided you liked them.

If I was going out to buy a new Sportster I'd get a 48, put on a 3.3 tank, better seat & improve the suspension parts (of course that would cost a bunch of $ & I'm not real flush now). But that's just me. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 PM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I love my 1200N, but I would think the 48 is definately an around town ride! I sat on the 48 and love it but feel like I am on a little dirt bike, I would really be stupid on that thing! If I had the money I would buy one just for me to cruise on!

So you going more than 1/2 hour, if so go with the Nightster!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Fortyeightgirly
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my 48 this Sunday and have just over 78 miles on her. I really love the way the bike handles. I think its a win , win with either bike you choose, there both great bikes.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 AM
eviltwin415
Tourer

I would get a used N and throw some forward controls on if you've got long legs, or highway pegs maybe a better bet. I'm 5'7" and I will stick with the mids. You're gonna have to change the seat and shocks if you wanna have a decent ride, but even with that done the forward controls will make you feel every little bump entirely with your *** without your legs to absorb the shock. The N tank is still small at 3.3, I can't imagine going any smaller. With my setup (V&H short shots and SE intake) I'm getting less than most with my all city riding in SF at between 25-30 mpg, that means my gas light is on by the time I've hit 60 miles if none of them have been highway. Basically I think I would go Nightster just for the fact you can find an almost new one used in Norcal and save big $$$ for all the stuff you want to change. The 48 is really cool looking though, I sat on one in Dudley Perkins the other day.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

XL1200N = Seat not really comfortable enough for long (500 + miles) trips. Will need to be replaced. Rear shocks need improvement. Will need to be replaced.

Sportster 48 = Seat not really comfortable enough for long (500 + miles) trips. Will need to be replaced. Rear shocks need improvement. Will need to be replaced. Gas tank too small. Will need to be replaced.

I would rather have mid controls and highway pegs than to only have forward controls. I find that for me, changing my foot placement really helps with long distance trips. I even use the rear passenger foot pegs for almost all of my highway riding as it helps me to lean forward into the wind and that helps to cut down on fatigue. Everyone is different so your choice should suit just you and no one else. If I was someone that didn't want to tinker around with my motorcycle then I would take a 1200 over a 883 ANYDAY and be done with it. Good luck with your purchase and ride safe out there!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 AM
4t8
Cruiser

I just got a forty-eight a little over a month ago and I love it, but here are some things to consider.
1. The 48 only has a 2 gallon tank, so my gas light comes on only after about 50 miles, which would surely be a pain on long trips, but I just like crusing around town, and I don't mind stopping at the gas station and having people ask me about my bike
2. The tank on the N is larger, 3 gallon, but I don't like the crease that's very noticable along the top of the tank.
3. The fat front tire on the 48 just looks awesome.
4. The 48 has forward controls which I have to have
5. The 48 has the turn signal lamps on the forks and not the handlebars which I like
6. The speedo on the 48 is a little more low-profile, which I like
7. The 48 has the mirrors mounted under the bar, which I think looks cool, but you might be able to flip them around on the N.
8. I think the handlebars are different. I felt more comfortable on the 48.
So I think both bikes are awesome, but unless you just have to have that one extra gallon of fuel, I'd go with the 48!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Wait till 2011, thats when the 49 comes out.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:10 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the looks of both bikes, but the 48 is just more trick looking. I don't like the fact it only has a 2.2 gal tank. I know with my mods and my 3.3 gal tank I stop for gas alot! so I would hate to have the 2.2 gal tank. I would still get the 48 out of thoes 2 bikes.

Quick Reply: Nightster or Forty Eight ???