Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too tall for a Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Brickster Boy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too tall for a Roadster?

Long-time lurker on this site-- first-time poster:

I need some advice from the taller set amongst you. I'm 6'2" and currently ride a BMW K100rt and a 1997 Honda Nighthawk 750. Both great bikes-- the Beemer's gonna accompany me to my grave, but the Nighthawk -- well it's solid as a rock though I think i'm ready for a change... I was recently at the local dealer and saw a used 2008 Sportster-- 1200R-- and just about fell in love w/ the looks. Just can't get it out of my head. Today I took it for an hour test ride and loved the feel, the torque, the sound, the pep-- just about the whole damn thing.

What I didn't like was the cramped nature of the fairly low seat and the mid-controls/pegs. It felt like my hip socket was tightened a bit too tightly after 20 minutes or so. But I really like controls/footpegs below-- and not forward-- so the Sportster Custom just doesn't do it for me.

My Q for those 6' and up who ride Sportsters w/ mid-controls (do you exist??)-- any advice or mods (maybe a Corbin seat for example?) that make sitting for 1+ hour stretches bearable?? I hate the idea of giving up on Sportsters, but may have to look in the Dyna direction. Or further afield.

Thanks in advance for your ideas or suggestions.

Brickster Boy

Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The biggest reason I like my Custom is the forwards. I'm 6'1", and even then I wouldn't mind moving them forward another couple inches. I couldn't see being comfortable at all with mids.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm just under 6' and find the mids great, I put drag bars on and on the highway spend most of my time with my feet on the passenger pegs, I can ride all day like that.
Personally I do not like forwards (I know I'll get flamed for that), I have tried them but just like the setup I have better, I would think that a change of bars would solve the problem, or as you say maybe a different seat.
The Roadster is a fantastic bike IMHO, fast, good handling and great brakes.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Rockport
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install highway pegs. That way you can stretch out a bit when on the open road.

Have the same bike myself, but since I am only 5'9" tall, I am very comfortable with the mid controls.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I can understand your impression of the R. I mostly ride a Triumph Tiger, which has a very similar seat to pegs position as your beemer. Every time I get on my Wife's 1200L I feel like I am on one of those little clown bikes with my knees just under my chin. But the thing is after a few minutes it feels ok. Its such a radically different riding position that the differences are exaggerated when first riding it. I think given time you could get used to it.

But I would put on highway pegs if I were you. You can use the mids when you want to feel in control and then the highway pegs when you need to stretch out a little

Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'1'' and really like the mids. The bike got more comfortable once I installed some dragbars... The sportster feels really comfortable to me but maybe that's 'cause I've mostly only owned race/street bikes until a little over 2 years ago. Like tiger said, highway pegs sound like a good idea for you.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM
kal52
6th Gear

Im 6-1 have a 34 inseam, I found the mids cramped, so I went to the custom.
now that being said my legs are still at dang near at 90* and dont really feeel Forward if you know what i mean.

Id find a bike with forwards that you can test, just to be on the safe side, you may change your mind.

I personally am glad I stuck to my guns and didnt go to the bigger bike, If its really what you want, you can make it work.

Good luck
Dave

Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

6"1 235 lbs on an 883R and it has enough power that i need to hold on for dear life under max acceleration. I like to be on top of the bike so drag bars and mids are what i like. I maybe in the future I'll install highway pegs and i'm upgrading the seat this week which is my only real complaint so far with this awesome bike. I hate polishing and waxing so for us that like to ride more then shine that black finish just freaking rocks and its looks awesome too.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
eneyege
Advanced

the first time i got on my 2007 1200r i got cramps. i started stretching so that i am actually in semi-shape and i got used to it. but at 6'2'' you are 3 inches taller than I.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I hate polishing and waxing so for us that like to ride more then shine that black finish just freaking rocks and its looks awesome too.
I know what you mean. I bought my bike a little over a year ago and still have yet to wash it haha. It still looks pretty clean due to the matte finish.

Quick Reply: Too tall for a Roadster?