Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raked Frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raked Frame

I really like and want the look of a raked frame. I looked at the kits that change the angle and use longer forks, but I just don't like the look. How difficult and expensive is it to cut and extend the down tubes and change the angle of the steering boss? Based on the look of the kits, I want to extend the rake about 14 degrees and use 10" over stock fork tubes.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had mine done by a local fab shop. They put 4" extensions in the downtubes. Total cost was about $1800, all parts and labor included.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 AM
deepsea
Tourer

How does this change the rake angle? Looking at my frame it looks like extending the down tubes just makes the front end higher. How do you kick out the angle of the steering boss?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain

I've done a few.Its not hard but you need to find a good welder if you cant weld.I cut the neck bend it out to get the rake i want then make up plates to fill the gap.Grind if dont correctly very little putty is needed then prime and paint.Add new tubes so the frame sets level.If you want lots of rake you need to add some to the neck and some to the trees to keep the trail correct so the front end doesnt flop and the bike handles like stock.Look up rake and trail calc. for figures.
Added pics of 3 i did. dyna 38 degs.,77 xl 40 degs.,81 xl 50 degs.

Attached Thumbnails Raked Frame-neck-40-.jpg   Raked Frame-neck-40-.3.jpg   Raked Frame-my-bike-40-.jpg   Raked Frame-tyler1.jpg   Raked Frame-dads-bike-25-.jpg  

Last edited by Mike07FLHTC; 07-04-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add pic.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:39 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by deepsea
How does this change the rake angle? Looking at my frame it looks like extending the down tubes just makes the front end higher. How do you kick out the angle of the steering boss?

It's also cut under the seat, with an angled piece intalled. This creates the extra rake. I forget exactly what the angle on that piece was though. With the longer downtubes, you need to angle the backbone to match it.
Doing it this way, as opposed to the neck rake, actually gives a better appearance with the higher tank and raked frame. Look at my tank, as opposed to stock set-up. You could also add an extension under the seat to give it some stretch too.

Last edited by kahaone; 07-04-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM
deepsea
Tourer

Originally Posted by kahaone
It's also cut under the seat, with an angled piece intalled. This creates the extra rake. I forget exactly what the angle on that piece was though. With the longer downtubes, you need to angle the backbone to match it.
Doing it this way, as opposed to the neck rake, actually gives a better appearance with the higher tank and raked frame. Look at my tank, as opposed to stock set-up. You could also add an extension under the seat to give it some stretch too.
I have the 4.5 gallon tank on my bike. Does the angled backbone and tank lift work with this tank or would I have to change it to a peanut style?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by deepsea
I have the 4.5 gallon tank on my bike. Does the angled backbone and tank lift work with this tank or would I have to change it to a peanut style?
The size of the tank makes no difference whatsoever. You could put a 20 gallon tank there, and if you angle the backbone, whatever is on top of it will be angled also.
Just to clarify, I did NOT do a tank lift, it's just that it sits at a different angle now, due to the frame job. But it is still mounted to the backbone exactly as it was before. It does give the appearance of a lift maybe, but it is just because of ther angled backbone.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 PM
deepsea
Tourer

One more stupid question for you. My front engine head has two swing arms that connect it to the down tubes. How are the down tubes extended and keep these in line? (2005 1200C model).

Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kahaone
Dont take this wrong u have a nice bike but in my opinion the tubes bent back like that looks like the bike was hit in the front end.In the pic of my 77 the purple bike I added 2.5 inches to the down tubes 1.25 in. in the back bone and raked the neck.I think it looks much better. jmho.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 PM
kahaone
Road Master

The fab guy just needs to do a little bit of fabbing if the motor mounts need adjusted.

Last edited by kahaone; 07-04-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Raked Frame