Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Will quiet baffles make a difference? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/536731-will-quiet-baffles-make-a-difference.html)

Maidenas 07-09-2010 10:43 AM

Will quiet baffles make a difference?

Just installed VH Shortshots Black on my buddy's Iron. Great looks, extremely LOUD, do-not-want-to-ride-the-bike-anymore LOUD! In fact, the last few days have been very disappointing! First, ordered the wrong Fuelpack unit (bad item description at ebay auction):icon_woot:, then this. Unfortunately, we had no previous experience listening to these exhausts...just videos from youtube, it seems that almost everyone has them (I was also in line to order them, not anymore). We decided to order the quiet baffles to give them a try, before installing back the stock exhaust. I just wanted to ask if quiet baffles will make any actual difference, make the bike ridable and not that much irritating ? I understand that this is also a matter of personal taste, but I'm trying to do the numbers in order to understand how loud they will be...I have read several posts on this subject, SH with no baffles = 110 dB, with baffles = 98 dB... Does anyone know stock exhaust dB levels or has any other technical info?

DallasSportster 07-09-2010 10:50 AM

I have Sideshots with the quiet baffles on my 1200C. My answer is not very technical but I can tell you that the quiet baffles make them a LITTLE quieter. They are still loud but deeper. With the standard baffles my ears would hurt at certain RPMs. After installing the quiet baffles and letting some carbon build up in the pipes I am very pleased with the sound. I believe the V&H site says the QB's will reduced the loudness by 2 dB.

Maidenas 07-09-2010 11:10 AM

It seems that the numbers i mentioned are not correct... I also read about the 2-3 dB decrease, on VH site...

psyco1 07-09-2010 12:48 PM

What pipes are quieter than stock? IMO Harleys sound better quiet.

Aires59 07-09-2010 03:13 PM

I have shortshots on my bike, started with with the standard baffles and after a short time put quiet baffles in - not much quieter but a deeper and more rounded sound.

jag1886 07-09-2010 06:29 PM

I changed the baffles on a friends pipes from load to the quiet and they sounded just as bad as they did to start with.

NI-STER 07-09-2010 07:32 PM

Since our city decided to enact a noise bylaw I've tested mine twice. 100db @ idle, 105db @ 2000rpm. I have an 08 1200 w/ V&H Sideshots and stock baffles. The #s should be about the same. Tested @ 45 deg/50cm from end of pipe.
Currently building new baffles. Unfortunately this means I have to ditch my Fuelpak for something more tuneable. :( $$$

veritas.archangel 07-09-2010 08:35 PM

Earplugs.

garslayer 07-09-2010 09:32 PM

After listening to my brash, loud Straightshots for a few thousand miles, I installed quiet baffles today. While the db level did not drop much, the sound has a deeper and mellower tone. So far; so good.

NI-STER 07-09-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel (Post 6978593)
Earplugs.

Ya, that's fine for me but the $250 fine(for first offence) would really hurt my wallet.
I ride w/earplugs 99% of the time anyway but the noise does get to me after a good cruise on the highway. Probably for the best but I don't like the man telling me what to do.
Not to mention the fact that all the police bikes failed the test. The end result was...new mufflers at the tax payers expence. (no doubt payed for @ full retail +install)...........Rant Off.