Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce wheel 04 on my 06 custom

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New picts of the bike getting some more miles on it today!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:35 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks awesome. Nice work.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Chi6er
Advanced

Richard;

Cool looking bike... I am still a newbie, appreciate help you gave me earlier, but still a little confused about bearings. I got an 08 13 spoke wheel off of ebay for my 08 Nightster.
I don't think it is an 08 wheel that I got, as the axle hole on the bearings measured 3/4". Any way can I pull the old bearing and put in bearings and spacers for a 25mm axle? or if needed even use an 1" axle and bearings. if this is no good, if I get a 3/4" axle, what do I need to modify? I am not sure what you did with the pvc on brake bracket and axle adjusters. sorry about all the questions. Jerry

Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 PM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chi6er
Richard;

Cool looking bike... I am still a newbie, appreciate help you gave me earlier, but still a little confused about bearings. I got an 08 13 spoke wheel off of ebay for my 08 Nightster.
I don't think it is an 08 wheel that I got, as the axle hole on the bearings measured 3/4". Any way can I pull the old bearing and put in bearings and spacers for a 25mm axle? or if needed even use an 1" axle and bearings. if this is no good, if I get a 3/4" axle, what do I need to modify? I am not sure what you did with the pvc on brake bracket and axle adjusters. sorry about all the questions. Jerry
Thank you Jerry. Asking questions is how we learn. All HD bikes after 07 went to 25mm axles or just under one inch (25.4mm) If the inner diameter of the bearing is 3/4 then its pre 04. You got two choices, have the center of the wheel (hub) machined to take the larger bearings, or get the smaller axle and make spacers for it.
To pull the bearings can be done several ways on the cheep. Harbor freight has bearing pullers or you can used a long screwdriver and hit the inside of the bearing from the opposite side of the wheel. I would even think a spring loaded wall anchor would work. More on that idea later.
I did not want to machine my wheel so I found a 04 axle, the only year of 3/4 on the newer, rubber mounted frames, or I now found out J$P sells one by pacho for $27 listed as a wide wheel axle, 12 3/4 long. Any way, I went to home depot and looked around for some time to find PVC adapters for 3/4 to 1/2 pipe that I could cut and sand to make fit. For my brake bracket it was a cap that I had to sand down 1/16 or so of the outside, for my axle adjusters I use a 3/4 to 1/2 threaded elbow that I only had to knock down the tops of the threads on the inside of the 1/2 part to make fit the axle. The outer diameter was perfect. I reused the 3/4 spacers.
Then a little grease and all went together.

Hope this helps out, let me know if you need greater detail or are not 100% on a part!!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Chi6er
Advanced

Richard;

thanks for the info, I understand a lot better now. Will give it a try in a week or so.
Jerry

Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
bmetzger
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! What seat is that?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer

Its a sundowner from what I was told. Its meant for the peanut tank so its a bear to get on and off. Last time I took it off, I looked up the part number and found it to be a generic number that is for many HD seats.
Its comfy thats for sure.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 PM
highdelay
Stage I

Hello , I would like to make this mod on my sportster Iron. Can you say me how long are the new spacers and how many I need?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 PM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer

Originally Posted by highdelay
Hello , I would like to make this mod on my sportster Iron. Can you say me how long are the new spacers and how many I need?
Your IRON has 25mm bearings (font and rear) so if you get a wheel from a 07 or later Big Twin it will also have 25mm bearings. So no need to make spacers.

If you get an earlier one most of them are 3/4 and a few are 1" I dont know which is which off the top of my head. I would suggest to eBay search the bearings as the sellers will list what years and models.

As for the spacers, I dont remember the length of each. But I do remember that the PVC adapters/elbows I cut them from was the correct length when I cut them. Another way to say it is I cut the elbow L into l _ and the _ was the right length.

Oh and here is current picture of my bike:

I dont come over to this forum much anymore as I spend all my time on XLForum.net

Last edited by DaytonaSportster; 11-02-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 AM
ground pounder 1
Stage II

I know this is an old post but i really need help so what size axle did u wind up using was it the 1 inch axle from your sporty ??

Quick Reply: Deuce wheel 04 on my 06 custom