Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Grips Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 AM
gman33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Grips Please!!!

Hi All

Recently purchased 2006 1200C and noticed that the grip on the stock throttle grip is ripped a little on the end. I would like to replace them with a pair that has some chrome in them. I came across these that I really like and wanted to know how hard it is to change these out and any tips/suggestions that you may have on installation? Tools, glue, requirements?

Thank you
Ed

Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 AM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a set of Avon Contour Grips off ebay as they were $20 cheaper than my local shops. I like the feel of them. I would suggest to visit your local shop and take a feel to see what you like.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 AM
ridzalot
Tourer

I have had the ones you show on my '03 Sporty 1200 and really like them. I used super glue gel on the left one. The original Harley left grip was clamped on with screws like the throttle grip. Too bad the kuryakin did not attach the same way. I like them just fine. Been using them for 2 years now.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 AM
AnimalRides
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DaytonaSportster
I just ordered a set of Avon Contour Grips off ebay as they were $20 cheaper than my local shops. I like the feel of them. I would suggest to visit your local shop and take a feel to see what you like.
+1 Avon Contour. Those things are great.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 AM
gman33
Cruiser

Thanks guys....will have to check them out.....so these are not hard to replace? Do I just cut the old grips off, clean up the shaft and slide these on....do I need to soak them in soapy water first? Appreciate the assistance!!!

Ed

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
PhilCat th PeaceFrog
Advanced

My 2 cents. After I wore out th stock grips on my 01XL1200S I replaced them with HDs Nostalgias shortly before I traded it in for my current 03FXDXT. I purchased the GoldKey accessory pkg that came with HD Contour grips. They were great grips but wore out around 50000miles. I replaced them with HD Nostalgias because of their "coke bottle " comfortable shape. Both the contour & nostalgia support chrome end caps that IMO add that attention 2 detail. Over the years I've replaced plenty of metal or chrome accented grips because the rider discovered how painfully uncomfortable those kind of grips can be after sitting in the sun for several hours HOT. As far as physically replacing the grips I would recommend placing a blanket under your work area to keep the tiny brass keepers from bouncing into obscurity just in case you drop one or both during disassemble. The look of frustration on customers face after driving miles to a dealership to replace a 2 dollar part in order to get their bike throttling again cannot be duplicated. The second drop of advice is of cation and warning about the possibility of pinching the wire harness when you reassemble. It may not rear its ugly short to ground head until you are months and miles away from your destination. Pinched wires don't usually show themselves immediately but take a few hours of vibration before they ground out. At that point your usually far from help. Most dealerships charge only a half hour for installing grips & you get a free wash in the deal. In the long run it maybe money well spent compared to the frustration of being stranded. I by no means am suggesting you cannot successfully replace your grips rather just a couple things to keep in mind while following the instructions in your service manual. I hope you find this useful, good luck and #ridesafe wherever you go.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain

The search feature works really well here. Here are a couple threads for you:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...2009-883l.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...djustment.html

That should have the info you need. The service manual is a must though.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me know if you want grips! I can get them for you at discounted forum pricing. The Kury ISO's are really comfortable as are the PM, RSD, and Avon grips with Renthal rubber.

Drew

Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
gman33
Cruiser

Thank you all very much for the awesome help and offering. I will certainly check everything out that you have mentioned. I am heading to the dealership today to pick up my windshield and will see if they have a service manual. But having the dealership do the install may be a simpler solution in the long run!!! Thank you again!!! Greatly appreciate it

Ed

Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gman33
Thank you all very much for the awesome help and offering. I will certainly check everything out that you have mentioned. I am heading to the dealership today to pick up my windshield and will see if they have a service manual. But having the dealership do the install may be a simpler solution in the long run!!! Thank you again!!! Greatly appreciate it

Ed
If ya see some of the info in the posts I linked, its really not that bad. I had my 6yo son help me with my last swap (went to smaller grips) and with his help (delays for the rest of us but a priceless time so well worth the extra 15 minutes it cost) we were done in 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: New Grips Please!!!