Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on changing to smaller front sprocket.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
CKimbrough18
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on changing to smaller front sprocket.

Hello all,
Newbee here with a question that I can't seem to find an answer on by searching. I have a 2005 Sportster XL883C with 1000 miles on it. I've seen a lot of people here talking about changing the front sprocket to a 29 or 30 tooth, but my problem seems to be the complete opposite. I have no take off power. It is nearly impossible to be in slow traffic without burning the clutch. And if my 9 year old son is on the back, it's even worse. I only weigh 180 pounds and my son is 80 pounds. So I don't think that's too much for the bike. I would like to change the front sprocket from the 28 tooth to a 27 tooth. Is there one made that will fit this bike without any problems?
I appreciate any help you guys are willing to give.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

You should have tons of low end torque, rather than change the gearing you should check into why it's ******* at low RPM's.
With only 1000 miles on an 05 maybe your carb needs cleaning or at least some seafoam run thru a couple of tankfulls.
What are you running for exhaust?

Last edited by HOTLAP; 08-12-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

As Hotlap said, you need to find out the real reason why you don't have any low end torque.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
CKimbrough18
Stage IV

The person that I bought if from had installed slip on exhaust pipes, a Screamin Eagle intake breather, and larger jet in the carb. I took it the local HD dealer and let them look at it. They said it was fine. I did run several tanks of gas with seafoam in it. The carb was clean and wasn't gummed up at all. They also changed the plugs. I am getting some carb farts and they dealer said that it was probably the accellerator pump. That it had a heavy duty one installed with the jet and it didn't need to be changed. I plan to get this changed back to stock. Could this be the problem?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Yes an excellerator pump is important in bringing up the revs from idle and resisting stalling while releasing the clutch from a stop, I would get that done and try it before changing the gearing.
If the slipons have baffles and still have the crossover pipe then they should not be causing a problem however if the baffles have been removed or modified "like drag pipes" that would really affect your low end grunt.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

There is no such thing as a heavy duty accelerator pump.

Are you accelerating to about 2000rpms? before you let out on the clutch?

For one, your clutch could be in need of adjusting.
2: your carb could need to be dialed in right, (better).
I wouldn't return it to stock condition.

But I would take it somewhere else for a second opinion tho. The dealer who you took it to is already BS'ing you.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM
CKimbrough18
Stage IV

The baffles and crossover pipe are still in place. I had the 1000 mile service done on it and they adjusted the clutch and idle speed at that time. My bike doesn't have a tach but I'm sure I'm reving it plenty high for take off. This is my first Harley so I'm not too up on them, but I've had sport bikes for years. I think I'm going to take the advice on getting a second opinion. However, I live in a small town and the closest dealer is 30 miles away. The next one is an 1.5 hours away. It might be a while before I can get there with it. There is a Honda dealer less than a mile from my home. They have a sign out front that says that they work on all makes of bikes. Does anyone here ever go that route with service work? Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 883 already has the smaller front pulley compared to a 1200, I'm not sure anyone makes a smaller one. I weigh 160 and can take off from a dead stop in 2nd gear on flat ground without too much trouble on my 00 883 so something is not right.

As for the Honda dealer is it large, or a smaller mom & pop type? We used to have a small Honda/Kaw dealer here that was owned and ran by a couple that loved bikes and took care of their customers but those types of shops are losing out to the fancy mega stores.

You could also look for a good Indy shop in the area, get some opinions from local harley riders on where to go.

Last edited by Hitechluddite; 08-12-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CKimbrough18
The person that I bought if from had installed slip on exhaust pipes, a Screamin Eagle intake breather, and larger jet in the carb. I took it the local HD dealer and let them look at it. They said it was fine. I did run several tanks of gas with seafoam in it. The carb was clean and wasn't gummed up at all. They also changed the plugs. I am getting some carb farts and they dealer said that it was probably the accellerator pump. That it had a heavy duty one installed with the jet and it didn't need to be changed. I plan to get this changed back to stock. Could this be the problem?
The carb farts could also be TO small of jets as my 1200 had the carb farts on deceleration. Re-jetted the carb to larger jets and it likes them better

As was mentioned earlier find out from the local harley riders who they use instead of the dealer.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
chalakki
Novice

I drive a 2005 xl883 I am about 273 and 6'2. The sportser is completely stock and 2045 miles on. It will flat runs.... So I agree the issue is not your gearing...

Quick Reply: Questions on changing to smaller front sprocket.