Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   PIAA Extreme White H4 Bulb (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/558652-piaa-extreme-white-h4-bulb.html)

m3apx 09-03-2010 07:36 PM

PIAA Extreme White H4 Bulb

It's getting dark earlier these days. I replaced the stock H4 bulb on my '08 Nightster with the PIAA Extreme White H4 bulb, part # 70456 (after reading reviews on this forum). I highly recommend it for anyone that rides after sunset. The high beam is much longer and wider than stock. The low beam is also much brighter. Even on low beams, a car can be 15 car lengths in front of me on a dark rural road. Between the car's lights in front of me as I'm following their path around the twist and turns, and the bike's low beams, it's a very comfortable ride. It provides a great margin of safety. Especially with all the deer in upstate NY. Well worth the $45 or so.

dm76 09-04-2010 12:18 PM

Do they last longer than the silverstars though?

m3apx 09-04-2010 01:30 PM

I don't know how long it will last. I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I keep the high beam on during the daytime, so only time will tell. I'll post back when it finally burns out. As an aside, I've already noticed being more visible to cars during the day.

If the PIAA doesn't last, I'll try the Silverstar. Anything brighter than the stock will help.

DR. V-TWIN 09-04-2010 05:02 PM

Another thing to do to get more light is to pull the diffuser out of your headlight. I just did this the other day. It is the gray thing that covers the front of the bulb inside the headlight. Not all headlights have them, but if you do, just break it off.

Drew

m3apx 09-04-2010 05:15 PM

I was wondering why there was a plastic piece covering the front of the bulb. I'll remove it. That should help. Thanks.

shiftharder 09-04-2010 07:42 PM

Be careful - my buddy did the same thing with his Dyna - turns out he overtightened the ring and his headlight shattered ($100.00) The extra heat causes the glass to expand a bit more so you need a bit of play - tighten to snug and stop - don`t overtighten.

Billy Blaze 09-04-2010 09:05 PM

Which Silverstar bulb works on the 08 Nightster?

MLGTIB 09-05-2010 08:32 AM

I just orders an HID kit from DDMtuning.com and it cost me about $50 shipped. I have their HIDs on my truck and love them. Once i get them on the bike I will post up pics.

dm76 09-21-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MLGTIB (Post 7243162)
I just orders an HID kit from DDMtuning.com and it cost me about $50 shipped. I have their HIDs on my truck and love them. Once i get them on the bike I will post up pics.

Did u ever get the HID kit installed? Just curious....

WRAITH 09-21-2010 10:52 PM

If you are getting the PIAA ask for the anti-vibe bulb. Yes, the PIAA anti-vibe does last longer than the Silver Star. MLDTBI, if it is a true HID where will you mount the ballast?