Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Shifting (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/5608-shifting.html)

1200c 06-19-2005 04:02 PM

Shifting

I'm new to riding motorcyles. I am also new to using a manual transmission. When I ask people questions about shifting, most of them just tell me that they hear it and feel it. That doesn't help my learning. Maybe you can answer some of my questions.

The owners manual says to shift at 15mph (1st to 2nd), 25mph (2nd to 3rd), 35mph (3rd to 4th), 45mph (4th to 5th). Are those minimun shift points? I don't want to lug the engine. I have found out that the engine accelerates a lot smoother, when I bump those shift points up 5 mph. So I will shift into 2nd at 20mph. 3rd at 30 mph. However, when I'm in third the engine seems to be able to go up to 50mph without a problem. Am I keeping it in first gear too long? Do I shift into other gears too early?

When shifting up or down the manual says to first close the throttle then pull in the clutch. When I start to close the throttle the bike starts to slow, then when I close it all the way I feel the engine braking. Is that the way to do it? I have noticed that if you pull in the clutch first then close the throttle it's a much smoother transition. Or you can close the throttle as you're pulling in the clutch. What is the right way to do it?

Someone has told me that I should let out the clutch after each downshift. Meaning that if I want to stop and I'm in fifth gear as the bike is slowing and I get to fourth gear speeds I would shift down to fourth and release the clutch without adding throttle. Then pull in the clutch again and keep slowing down. When I get to third gear speeds I would shift down. Let out the clutch again like before and pull it back in. Then continue all the way down to first gear. Not letting it out in first gear. I was told not to just pull in the clutch and just pop the gears from 5th down to first. Unless it was an emergency stop. It is the right way to shift and will help with breaking in the transmission. Is that right?

Finally, if I'm in third gear going 40 mph and the traffic ahead of me is slowing down. Is it ok to partially close the throttle and start to slow the bike down using engine compression? Is that bad for the engine? What do most people do? If I would pull in the clutch at that speed and slow down to 35 mph then I have a problem. The owners manual says not to downshit until the proper speed, which is 30 mph for third gear. I assume that you shouldn't let out the clutch either until you reach 30mph. So does that mean I have to slow down even more to 30mph before I can release the clutch?

Any advise would be great.

pococj 06-19-2005 05:26 PM

RE: Shifting

Welcome to da woild of muttersickling!

The shift points you describe are fine. Always better a little high than low.

The clutch & throttle are operated almost simultaneously. If you feel the engine braking, or the engine races, you missed the timing a bit. Don't worry; if you can walk, chew gum, and utter an occasional monosyllable every now and then, you'll catch on.

Some of us let the clutch out when downshifting to let the engine assist with braking. Some of us will allow the bike to slow in the top gear to nearly a complete stop, then downshift without letting the clutch out so we are in first just as we come to a stop. And some folks do it a combination of both. It's your choice, but even if you choose one of the latter ways, practice the first, as it might help you stop more quickly in a semi-emergency. (I say "semi-" 'cause most of us probably wouldn't remember to do it when we're 10 feet from an 18 wheeler that just pulled out into our lane.)

Allowing the engine to brake you a bit before down shifting when traffic is slowing isn't going to hurt anything. But keeping the bike in the best throttle response area will give you an "out" should things go to crap, as they are wont to do with cages around you.

Scout 06-19-2005 10:27 PM

You're new to riding and you got a 1200C. Alright!

I agree with Skip, but want to add, make sure when you are coming to a stop and downshifting, if you get in the practice of letting the clutch out between gears that you do not let the engine revs get too low. Lugging is really terible for the engine.

1200c 06-19-2005 11:29 PM

Thanks.

Does letting the clutch out have any benefit for the transmission? Is it bad to pull in the clutch and while slowing to a stop run down through the gears never releasing it?

Also, I have heard that when you shift gears they should make a "clunk". I have noticed that when I change gears the tranny doesn't always "clunk". Only sometimes. For example, sometimes the shift into first is silent while other times it clunks quite loudly. Is that something I should be concerned about? Would it be possible to wear out dog teeth in as little as 400 miles? Is it something simple like making an adjustment? Is that normal?

As for downshifting, should that be done by the book? Meaning don't shift into fourth gear at a higher speed than 40 mph, 3rd no higher than 30mph, etc. Is that reasonable? For example, if you hold in the clutch and downshift into a gear at a higher speed does that cause excessive wear? Is that bad for the transmission?

Allowing the engine to brake you a bit before down shifting when traffic is slowing isn't going to hurt anything. But keeping the bike in the best throttle response area will give you an "out" should things go to crap, as they are wont to do with cages around you.
It is ok to use the engine to brake without the intension of downshifting? For example, going 45 mph in third gear but use engine braking to get down to 35 mph. Then accelarate down the road to 40 mph. All without ever shifting. To me it seems that would be ok.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I don't want to do any damage to the engine or tranny.

rpoteau 06-20-2005 03:11 PM

shifting is something that takes practice but there are some common things to do. When you enter a turn it is good to downshift and get into second before the turn so that you can accelerate through the turn and not hit the brakes and risk a slide while turning. It is also advised if you are downshifting not to go into first unless you are below 20 mph. As far as upshifting you should always find that balance in the gear where it doesn't lag and it isn't redlining. This take a bit of practice but the manual as you stated is a good guidline but depending on driving style it can be different for everyone. Soon it will be second nature. Good luck with it.

pococj 06-20-2005 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: 1200c

Thanks.

Does letting the clutch out have any benefit for the transmission? Is it bad to pull in the clutch and while slowing to a stop run down through the gears never releasing it?

Also, I have heard that when you shift gears they should make a "clunk". I have noticed that when I change gears the tranny doesn't always "clunk". Only sometimes. For example, sometimes the shift into first is silent while other times it clunks quite loudly. Is that something I should be concerned about? Would it be possible to wear out dog teeth in as little as 400 miles? Is it something simple like making an adjustment? Is that normal?

As for downshifting, should that be done by the book? Meaning don't shift into fourth gear at a higher speed than 40 mph, 3rd no higher than 30mph, etc. Is that reasonable? For example, if you hold in the clutch and downshift into a gear at a higher speed does that cause excessive wear? Is that bad for the transmission?

It is ok to use the engine to brake without the intension of downshifting? For example, going 45 mph in third gear but use engine braking to get down to 35 mph. Then accelarate down the road to 40 mph. All without ever shifting. To me it seems that would be ok.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I don't want to do any damage to the engine or tranny.
Nothing you've described will hurt anything in your tranny or bike. About the only way you're going to damage anything is if you seriously over-rev the engine, or continually lug the engine.

Methinks you are making much ado about nothing. Go ride it, bang a couple gears, run it up to redline a time or two, and just generally have fun!

1200c 06-20-2005 11:40 PM

Methinks you are making much ado about nothing. Go ride it, bang a couple gears, run it up to redline a time or two, and just generally have fun!
I think you're right. I think I've been doing good with shifting. I've lugged the engine once or twice, which is bad. But I haven't done it ever since I got used to the throttle. By the way, I have been ridding it. As much time as I can spare.

xlrider 08-21-2005 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

You're new to riding and you got a 1200C. Alright!

I agree with Skip, but want to add, make sure when you are coming to a stop and downshifting, if you get in the practice of letting the clutch out between gears that you do not let the engine revs get too low. Lugging is really terible for the engine.
Thats the way to go!! I never rode before I got my Sporty either and I got a 1200C also, I am so glad I did.

McSporster 08-21-2005 08:01 PM

...sounds like to me that you're right on track, too! I'm shifting my new 1200C the same way as I'm getting back into riding after a "few" (35!;)) years since being on an old SuperHawk. Riding the Sportster sure does put a grin on my face that almost lasts 'til I can get back on it. And, with some incredibly long waiting lists for the motorcycle safety course locally, this is a great bike to "learn" on!

Special thanks to all who participate and contribute here -- there's lots of great, useable info.! Mc

SPRINGER 08-21-2005 11:27 PM

Howdy McSportster, welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your Sporty so much. It's good to hear when people are enjoying the fun of riding a motorcycle. Enjoy the ride