Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

school me on 97' 883 Hugger also help me cutomize with the right parts/links

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default school me on 97' 883 Hugger also help me cutomize with the right parts/links

I just wanted to start a thread that I can ask for the right parts and get Ideas for my bike and refer back to and evolve as I go. Thanks ahead for any input.

Honestly, I know there's a lot of them but I really like the nightsters and I REALLY like the nightster/bobber/customs that I'm seeing a lot of on here, so I'm trying to learn a little on my hugger and what parts I need to make it more like a nightster/custom.

:Is the hugger's frame geometry any different than other sportsters?

:Are the front fork tubes the same length as the nightsters? They sure look like they are from eying pics..

:Rear shocks on hugger are probably just Drop'd 2" ?

: whatever else you guys can school me on about the hugger

Here's my Winter customize Wish list, Depending on Money of coarse.

:1250 Cylinder upgrade kit from NRHS, Prolly the first thing I'll do.

:Return Front end back to Sportster Triple trees. Where to buy the Trees? do I need a new stem/bearings as well?

: Different old/school, Cool looking headlamp and front turn signals.

:Either Drag/riser bars or stock riser bars flipped? Maybe black mini apes like I have??

:what handle bar controls do you guys recommend?

:Maybe change pipes

:Mid/stock foot controls

: Different/chopped rear fender

: Different Solo Seat

Current bike pics

Current state. Replaced Handlebars/Hand controls/headlight/triple trees. Painted lower forks.

Last edited by Dirknar; 10-15-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, That is a bad *** looking bike already! I really dig the white walls.

Anyway, What front end is on it if it is not stock?
aftermarket handlebar controls are EXPENSIVE! Most people stick with stock or just chrome covers.
If you go back to mid controls, you will have to change the pipes. PM me if you do, I want those pipes!
You can always paint your bars black if you want. Drag bars are a completely different ride and feel all the way around. You will also have to change all the cables if you do, the existing will be too long. Bars are a personal preference. For me it's apes and I will never go back!
Definitely do the 1250 kit!
I like your headlight, I would keep it and see how the rest goes first, Loose the front signals,it really cleans up the forks/front end and learn your hand signals.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a mid or wide glide front end but the fork tubes look stock...and your rear shocks look alot like stock Nightster shocks.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Dirknar
Tourer

Thanks Wood.

The front end has Wide glide triple trees and spacers for the fender. I dont plan on going with a wide tire(for now) so I just want the stock trees.. I found these on ebay, they are from a 09' will they work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I like the pipes too but they stick out quite a bit and cover up the mid controls(obviously)

I do like the mini apes, they are surprisingly comfortable. Not sure on change out on those yet.

Not sure if I can rid the front turns? is it legal in WA state?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Dirknar
Tourer

Originally Posted by mreed
You have a mid or wide glide front end but the fork tubes look stock...and your rear shocks look alot like stock Nightster shocks.

are my stock fork tubes the same length as the nightster? they look to be??

Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah but I don't know if yours is lowered. It looks like it is...so it's pretty similar to a Nightster. The difference wetween your tubes and a Nightster's are very minimal. Like, axle size (later model N's) and the caliper mount is a little different but the overall appearance is the same.

You need trees from a Sportster 03 or older. Where are you located?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Dirknar
Tourer

Yeah but I don't know if yours is lowered. It looks like it is...so it's pretty similar to a Nightster. The difference wetween your tubes and a Nightster's are very minimal. Like, axle size (later model N's) and the caliper mount is a little different but the overall appearance is the same.

You need trees from a Sportster 03 or older. Where are you located?
Thank you for the info, your bike is one of the pics I drool over.Do you have closer more detailed photos? What pipes are those?

ya the length of the tubes seems very close to the nightsters. I will need a new axle when I switch back to the stock trees too so that helps on the size.

I am in Spokane WA.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks.

I have a stock 3/4" axle and stock trees laying around..want to trade parts?

The pipes on the one in my sig pic are Vance & Hines Side Shots. I'll look for some pics of it.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Dirknar
Tourer

Thanks.

I have a stock 3/4" axle and stock trees laying around..want to trade parts?

The pipes on the one in my sig pic are Vance & Hines Side Shots. I'll look for some pics of it.
thank you for the offer, I would trade but my stepdad just told me today when I was talking about changing the bike, that if I find some stock trees then he wants the wide ones for his sportster project.. Him and my lil bro both are building old basket case sportsters. Its a big reason why I traded my sport bike for the sportster, I thought it would be cool if we all had sporty's..

Would you sell your parts?

How do you like those pipes? are they extra loud from echoing off the ground too? It looks like you could use mid or forward controls with them?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Ahh...no problem. Sounds like a cool deal with your dad & brother.

Yeah, I'll sell them. I'll PM you some pics of them tomorrow. They just came off of a hardtail project. Really good shape.

Yes, the Side Shots are loud. Rather ridiculous actually. But that's how I like them.

Quick Reply: school me on 97' 883 Hugger also help me cutomize with the right parts/links