Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 883xl 06’ problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 05:03 PM
dreoliveros
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster 883xl 06’ problems

Hello everyone, i own a 06 sportster xl 883, i been having some problems with my bike, i have like two months of reading and searching for my problem, and trying different things without getting it to work properly.

the symptoms: the bike was at a paint shop for about 5 months, after they brought back my bike it started having carb problems so i did took the carb cleaned everything in there and the bike ran super well, two months ago i washed my bike took it for a 24+ short ride, when coming back home theres a kinda a slope way, once i was out of it the bike started acting as if there was no gas and went off, so i ended up turning it on again and got back home acting weird a combination of no spark and no gas. After that i did have trouble to start the bike again the next day, so i cleaned the tank, changed the gas line from petcock to carb and also changed the petcock for a Pingel new one, changed the starter relay, checked the battery, coils (tested ok) put new spark plugs and spark plug cables for some new accel, after that the bike still had problems to start, so i read in some forums and youtube video that might be caused by BAS sensor, so i did the 5 time off/on ignition key trick and the bike did start right away, so i took it for another ride but it did ended up failing again after maybe half hour, i managed to get back home again but the bike were running, then at some point die, and then repeat like 4 times it was at night, so i ended up testing again the battery and coils but did seem good again, so reading again some people having similar symptoms i ended up suspecting at the ICM, Coils, BAS/TCM and the crank shaft sensor, i changed the crank sensor (cheaper of the suspect list) and the bike its in the same point of failing again, the bike would start fine, run fine, after some point die, and some days just wont start, so at this point im better asking here if there’s someone that can point me something that im missing, dealership its not good at my country and also everytime i have to change something i have to order for it and wait, so yeah let me know what you guys think, thanks

new parts:
petcock
furl line
Spark plug cables
spark plugs
crankshaft sensor
starter relay
cleaned and triple checked carb
manifold gaskets

* the code that keeps reading is U1255, i dont use the speedometer on my bike, so i dunno if the code its because of that or the TCM/ BAS having a sorta problem

thanks again

Old 04-25-2022, 07:49 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,204 Likes on 739 Posts

Replace the ignition module. Use a Dynatek TC-88 unit. My Wife's 04 did damn near the same stuff. Simply replaced the OEM with the Dynatek, adjusted the rev limit and set to the fastest advance rate. Bike's been perfect fir 5 years now.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:29 AM
dreoliveros
Stage III

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
Replace the ignition module. Use a Dynatek TC-88 unit. My Wife's 04 did damn near the same stuff. Simply replaced the OEM with the Dynatek, adjusted the rev limit and set to the fastest advance rate. Bike's been perfect fir 5 years now.
thanks man, that was my next move i guess, theres nothing much to change on the bike by now, its almost a 06’ with 2022 new aftermarket parts by this point, do you know (or anyone) if its any way to correct test the ICM? Just to be sure or is enough with all the symptoms i had

Old 05-07-2022, 10:11 PM
dreoliveros
Stage III

Hello, so i ended up putting the Dynatek DSPT-1, and NO wasn’t the ignition module either, but something new happened,
for some reason when i replaced the ignition module the tail lights were dimmed and the brighter, as I noticed this i stepped on the brake and also did try the handle brake and it didn’t worked properly, NO brake lights, this with bike running, i gave a little gas to the throttle like four good open thottle, lights seemed brighter then the bike just went of, didn’t start again, so at this point im also suspecting if it has to do with the TSM/bas, because i do not have now brake lights or spark, when i run diagnostic the U1255 code keeps coming, and also after you turn the key on ignition the tail lights tilt like 3 times before going to stay lit, what do you guys think, my next move was to replace the coil but as i said, this is weird and I don’t know if something like the TSM might be causing this, or is just an added problem besides the no spark problem. Let me know im very frustrated by now. Thanks