Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thumb screw cruise control????

Old 07-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Barbara Turner
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wish

Originally Posted by Xenomorph
It's 100% a suicide screw! I removed mine along with it's internal guts when I changed out my bars. I have zero desire to ever need it.

Its really a foolish idea IMO. It could be the kiss of death for a new rider who doesn't know any better.
I’m a new rider and knew nothing about this until it licked my throttle and sent me into a guardrail . Thank god I wasn’t going to fast if vibrated to a lock position and could have killed me! I ended up with two very deep lacerations that just missed my muscle tissue in my thigh 26 stitches . When my bike gets repaired that thing has to go. I wish I knew of this sooner but at least I’m alive to tell about it.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:55 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,102 Likes on 23,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara Turner
I’m a new rider and knew nothing about this until it licked my throttle and sent me into a guardrail . Thank god I wasn’t going to fast if vibrated to a lock position and could have killed me! I ended up with two very deep lacerations that just missed my muscle tissue in my thigh 26 stitches . When my bike gets repaired that thing has to go. I wish I knew of this sooner but at least I’m alive to tell about it.
That is sure one hell of a first post, Barabra. Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope you heal up quick. I do have the thumb screw lock on my bike as well but I never use the thing.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Barbara Turner
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot
That is sure one hell of a first post, Barabra. Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope you heal up quick. I do have the thumb screw lock on my bike as well but I never use the thing.
I didn’t know anything about it. I know it is a major hazard this one vibrated to a lock position without me touching it. I’m just thankful I wasn’t on a road with traffic and that the lacerations we not in a life threatening place . It’s my first bike and only my third time out on it . I’m upset that when I took it for servicing and inspection to make sure it was safe being a first time rider that the Harley dealership didn’t bring to my attention this thing nor notice it was not functioning properly. I don’t know if they are stiock or aftermarket but definable not safe

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 07-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Wow , so sorry that your introduction to biking has not been a happy one . I hope your battle scars heal well and I hope this experience has not discouraged you from carrying on as a biker . I'm going to have a good look as this thumb screw gadget on my bike tomorrow . I reckon it might end up in the bin ( trash ) Get well soon .

Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Doesn't it have a spring in it. Hard to think it would vibrate to the tight position. Never seen or heard of this happening and I have been riding longer than many of you have been alive.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 AM
HotRod917
Road Warrior
Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by apache snow
Doesn't it have a spring in it. Hard to think it would vibrate to the tight position. Never seen or heard of this happening and I have been riding longer than many of you have been alive.
Yea, I'm pretty surprised to hear about this unfortunate incident too. Always liked this simplistic analog approach to cruise control. I generally use it on the highways and its really a useful thing to have.

I've had throttle cables n carb sliders lock up on my other bikes (Royal Enfield)..I'd usually pull in the clutch n turn off the ignition first then deal with it after coming to a stop..but hey stuff happens and we may not have enough time to react in some situations.

Hope u get well soon Barbara

Old 07-14-2019, 01:36 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 954 Likes on 657 Posts

Sorry to hear and hope you get well soon Barbara.

Now for that so called cruise control, I use it alot and find it weird that it jammed without touching it, the spring keeps it from turning in so I wonder if that
was the only issue here.

This is what I made from mine, when pushed to the front it is just tighten enough to keep the throttle steady but you can allways override it by turning the
throttlelever forward.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:08 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts
Default Double danger

I've just realised that potentially my bike has another dangerous feature . I have aftermarket grips made in three sections out of alloy . The main throttle tube screws into the cable holder with a left hand thread which means that if you twist the throttle closed too hard it will come undone . Combine that with a jammed throttle and your in big trouble . By the time you have hit the kill switch or grabbed the clutch it could be too late . I think it worked loose yesterday which would explain why I was feeling slight hesitations when I was trying to maintain a steady cruising speed. The only way to tighten it is to twist the throttle wide open which is not practical in traffic or good for the engine . I had to stop and switch off to fix it but when I hit the start button there was a massive cough from the air cleaner because I had cranked the accelerator pump . I'm going to thread lock this thing .

Last edited by Midpegs; 07-14-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Sorce
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Used mine to break my cable!

Eff that thing!

Sorce

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:20 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 954 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
I've just realised that potentially my bike has another dangerous feature . I have aftermarket grips made in three sections out of alloy . The main throttle tube screws into the cable holder with a left hand thread which means that if you twist the throttle closed too hard it will come undone . Combine that with a jammed throttle and your in big trouble . By the time you have hit the kill switch or grabbed the clutch it could be too late . I think it worked loose yesterday which would explain why I was feeling slight hesitations when I was trying to maintain a steady cruising speed. The only way to tighten it is to twist the throttle wide open which is not practical in traffic or good for the engine . I had to stop and switch off to fix it but when I hit the start button there was a massive cough from the air cleaner because I had cranked the accelerator pump . I'm going to thread lock this thing .

In most cases you are dealing with Chinese clones, before mounting them to the bike, mount the 3 parts with red loctite together and there will be no problem.

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (07-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thumb screw cruise control????