Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thumb screw cruise control????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 AM
thatguy021
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thumb screw cruise control????

ok so my mother in law was trying to explain to me how to use this thumb screw thing and i just dont get it.... can somebody tell me how this works and what to do with it?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 AM

It is NOT a cruise control. If you tighten it down enough, it becomes what truckers call a "suicide ****," or a throttle lock. It's called that because it locks the throttle in place, and you can't turn it off quickly enough, so it's a fancy way of committing suicide.

If you use it correctly, it is a friction ****. In this application, what you are supposed to do it tighten it up enough (with your right hand in riding position on the handlebar grip, press your thumb against the right side of the **** and rotate it forward to tighten) to eliminate jerkiness from your throttle inputs. Basically, just tighten it enough that if you take your hand off the throttle, it will slowly rotate closed on its own (set it with the engine off). This is to relieve tension on your right hand, and to smooth throttle input. If you tighten it just a bit more than that, then it can be used as a poor man's cruise control, as you can still close the throttle manually easily enough, but it is tight enough to keep the throttle opening constant.

The following 2 users liked this post by :
IronAss (07-15-2019), soldierbot (07-13-2019)
Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use to have mine cranked to the point that if I let go the bike would hold speed and I had to return the throttle back to idle. The service tech at the HD dealer told me that the parts in the friction screw are just plactic and not to leave it cranked down. I have it now so that there is no friction, but with a flick or two of the thumb it will hold the throttle if i want and can still back it down. I do not recomend keeping it cranked down and you have to always remembre to back it down or your in for a ride.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Somber Goat
Tourer

The above post's described it pretty well. I only use it if while on the slab I need to give the right hand a breather.

If your like me and need to see it to understand it (the manual does but in 2D) you'll have to open up the right side switch housing(two screws, one top, one bottom) this will uncover your throttle and idle cable wrapped around you grip. You'll have to loosen up your cables to remove them but if you take them off you can fully remove the switch housing and see how the throttle screw works against your grip.

If you do this just be careful of the little parts and the brake light switch in that housing can get be a bitch if your not careful.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Aslow
Advanced

I always thought a suicide **** was the **** you put on your steering wheel. Is it also slang for a trucker's throttle lock? Do truckers even have throttle locks? Sorry, my curiosity was piqued...

Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 100% a suicide screw! I removed mine along with it's internal guts when I changed out my bars. I have zero desire to ever need it.

Its really a foolish idea IMO. It could be the kiss of death for a new rider who doesn't know any better.

The following users liked this post:
DPete (07-15-2019)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM

The thing on the steering wheel is usually slanged as a "brody ****," although I have heard them called suicide ***** as well. All trucks used to have throttle locks, but now you only find them on those that actively use PTOs, such as dump trucks, gravel slingers, flow-boys, etc.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine is just tight enough that the throttle will stay put. its been that way since i got the bike. old harleys didn't have return springs you manually closed the throttle to slow the engine. once you learn to ride this way, going back just plain sucks.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 PM
ranger50
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used mine from time to time to give my wrist a rest. I have nerve damage in my wrist and elbow so sometimes when the road is straight, and there's limited traffic, I will use it to take a wrist brake. Keep in mind, I only tighten it to the point that it's barley holding the throttle to my desierd spot. I drove tractor trailer over the road for years, and come from a trucking family. My Father owned his own riggs, and back in the day, a suicide stick was a broom handle cut off that you could wedge under the dash to keep the throttle wide open. That was cruise control back then.

The following users liked this post:
Brayfield (04-18-2021)
Old 10-01-2010, 03:21 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

I have a small lever that attaches to it......just move the lever foward with my thumb and it creates tension and holds throttle position but I still can override it.... got it at a rally for 15 bucks...great for those 500 mile days.

Quick Reply: thumb screw cruise control????