Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting/Powdercoating primary,sprocket,ac, and cam cover

Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting/Powdercoating primary,sprocket,ac, and cam cover

Anyone do this? Either take to a powdercoater or paint themselves? Wanting to go for the blacked out look. I can spray paint pretty good. I have spray painted a lot of things and when you do it right it holds up. Ive had no issues.

Anyone have any advice for painting? Its not a smooth finish so what grit to rough it up, if any.

Whats the average cost for powdercoating these pieces? Wanting to do these 4 pieces in black then derby,timing and ac insert in black.

Found them already painted on ebay for $300, but I think I can get them done/do them myself for a lot cheaper.

Pictures/advice.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had almost everything I could take off my bike powder coated black. Including a couple extra upper fork tube covers. I think mine ran me around 200 if I remember correctly, but that was for basically 2 different colors (some flat black, some gloss black). I did not have the air cleaner done as I had already previously purchased a color-matched one for the dealer. (I did have the derby cover and timing cover done in gloss black, although those are not on my bike anymore).

Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Ok cool thanks. Thats pretty cheap. A lot better then $300 for new ones powdercoated and thats only 3 pieces.

Im going to do the pieces I mentioned and see if there is anything else that catches my eyes.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple pics of the parts I had done (could not find them on my post before). Not great pics but you can see the parts I got done for the money.

Attached Thumbnails Painting/Powdercoating primary,sprocket,ac, and cam cover-dscn1299.jpg   Painting/Powdercoating primary,sprocket,ac, and cam cover-dscn1300.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Originally Posted by catlkn
Here are a couple pics of the parts I had done (could not find them on my post before). Not great pics but you can see the parts I got done for the money.

Thats pretty much exactly what I want to do. Thanks!

When you took all the parts off you had no issues with leaks or anything like that? All the covers can come off with no issues of any kind? Even the parts in the first pic?

Also my dad said the primary cover will need a new gasket and all the bolts have a to be torque to a certain amount.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM
mrmeanbean74
Tourer

I rattle canned all my parts it will not hold up like powdercoating will but with a little tape and paper if they do get messed up i can go with a easy touch up.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:11 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
Thats pretty much exactly what I want to do. Thanks!

When you took all the parts off you had no issues with leaks or anything like that? All the covers can come off with no issues of any kind? Even the parts in the first pic?

Also my dad said the primary cover will need a new gasket and all the bolts have a to be torque to a certain amount.
In order to remove the gear case cover (cam cover), you're supposed to take the pressure off the cams (push rods/rockers/valve springs). I think a lot of people don't.
Your Dad's correct about the gasket and torque values, plus, the bolts need to be torqued in the proper sequence. It sucks the service manual isn't free (or maybe it is somewhere) but if you're gonna tackle stuff like that it's good to have one.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
In order to remove the gear case cover (cam cover), you're supposed to take the pressure off the cams (push rods/rockers/valve springs). I think a lot of people don't.
Your Dad's correct about the gasket and torque values, plus, the bolts need to be torqued in the proper sequence. It sucks the service manual isn't free (or maybe it is somewhere) but if you're gonna tackle stuff like that it's good to have one.
Ok thanks. I can get one at the dealer or DL maybe online. Google always works.

I plan on doing motor pieces in black,just got some 16'' powdercoated apes in black at Rockingham for $40, and maybe chopped fender soon. Should look good.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

HD Cummings... I used the Harley Textured black wrinkle rattle can to paint my cam cover many months ago.... $20 bucks.. it has been a year and it still looks great.... and my bike stays outside at all times enduring the harsh Sun, rain, and beach weather... the advantage is that the powdercoat tends to absorb everything.. including a fresh layer of paint.. :-) go for it! the cheapest and simplest option.... no removal of covers, no torque wrench.. (but get the service manual.. it is worth every penny.. mistakes are very costly, specially on a Harley)

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I coated all mine on my motor, love the look
cam cover, inner and outter primary, clutch cover, starter cover, upper and lower rockers, all done in wet black

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting/Powdercoating primary,sprocket,ac, and cam cover