Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***LA Choppers Club bars handlebar swap how to with pics****

Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default ***LA Choppers Club bars handlebar swap how to with pics****

So, I got a new set of bars again (LA MED Club Bars in chrome) and wanted to write a how to for all you Sporty guys. This is one of the simplest bar swaps I have done in a long time as the 905" rise club bars fit with stock cables. No hassles soldering wires and heat shrinking till your heat gun overheats. Estimated time is 2 hours taking your time.
First you want to loosen your throttle cables all the way. Next you want to stick a cardboard shim between the brake lever and the brake lever perch.

Loosen the switch housing on the clutch cable side as well. Remove the screws from the switch housing. On my 2005 883L they are t-25. Yes they are a 25, not a 27.
Once the switch housing are open, remove the throttle and idle cables from the throttle housing taking care NOT TO LOSE THE BRASS FERRULES on the end of the cables. Set the screws and ferrules aside for reinstall. The grip will slide right off.

Once out of the housing, pull the cables out of the switch housing.

On the clutch just open the housings.

My bike already has aftermarket bars that are internally wired, so I unplug the wiring under the tank. I also have to remove the bolts holding my speedo on the bars. I laid a blanket over the headlight for the excess parts to lay on so as not to scratch the bike.
The handlebars plugs are light gray and dark gray. You can see the light gray one in this pic.

Handlebar wiring unplugged

Remove the clutch perch and brake reservoir perch (T-27) Be careful not to let them fall! Put them out of the way.
Unbolt the riser bolts (3/4" socket)
Riser bolt

Removing Riser bolt

Bars off the bike

Now that the bars are free, I am going to make a wiring diagram for reassembly of the Deustch connectors. Here is my diagram. Make a diagram of each side.

Now I remove the orange piece on the end of the connector which simply pulls out and looks like a T. I set it aside.

Next I use a jewelers screwdriver to release each pin in the connector one at a time. Push the retaining pin towards the center of the connector and gently pull the wire out of it's place.

Now that the wires are removed from the connector I tape them up and pull the wires back through the bars. The right switch housing and set of wires is that one with the throttle lock **** on it. Mark them if you are not sure. Electrical tape is recommended. I was out.

Now we are ready to pull the wiring through out new bars.

Get your new bars out. Continued...

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 10-27-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Here are my new LA Choppers Club bars. I use fishing line and a nut tied to the end. I drop the nit down the bars until it comes out of the lower wiring hole. Jiggle the bars until it gets there and grab it. Make sure the end of the bundle of wires is tapes up with electrical tape (highly preferred) and tied the other end of the fishing line around the bundle of wires as close to the end or the wires as you can. Be careful not to pull the nut back through the bars while tying. Yup, ask how I know. It always happens on one side.

Note: I do not have the wires tied close enough to the end to make for an easy out of the lower hole with these specific bars.

Gently pull the wiring through the bars with the fishing line while gently pushing the harness through the bars at the same time. these bars were a piece of cake due to their design. The 9.5" Club bar fits with stock wiring on the Sportster and I would imagine all models.

Wiring successfully pulled through the bars on both sides.

Time to refer to your diagram you made earlier and put the wiring back together. the easiest way is to put the orange piece (Deustch Connector) with the 6 holes for the wires back into the connector and push wires in therough that. They simply snap into place.

Put the orange T back in the other side of the connector. Do both sides and you are done with the hard part.

Attach the bars to the bike with the riser bolts (3/4" socket)

Here are my new LA Chopper Club bars. I think they look great and they are extremely comfortable. The wife sat on the bike (as it is hers) and seemed quite satisfied as well which is a plus.
I got confused at this point and a friend from the dark side came to give me some advice. The Dark Lord approves!

Plug in the handlebars switches ensuring you have left in left and right in right. Test them to make sure everything is working. Put throttle and idle cables back into their respective places. Reinstall the brake and clutch perches. Turn the bars lock to lock and test the throttle in all locations to make sure it is not sticking anywehre. use the adjuster on teh cables to set them as you like.

Done!

Ride your bike. I only had time to take a short ride with these new bars but will get a nice long ride in on Friday to report back on specific thoughts about the bars.
Here is the bike with the new bars. Very cool!

Thanks LA Choppers for making an alternative to the classic T Bar.

Drew

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darth Vader is the ****.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jojoenglish85
Darth Vader is the ****.
It is all about the dark side afterall!

Drew

Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice one.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
chuckdizzle
Advanced

Those bars look dope as hell! Stock cables, or were they already extended from the previous bars?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

They are stock cables. that is the best part! No need to buy new cables or extend the wiring. It was an extremely easy install! I would highly recommend these bars to anyone, and the internal wiring was a breeze with the curve in the bars. No T Bar hassles!

Drew

Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
bootleg_
Cruiser

Damn. Seems like a pretty easy install. Looks awesome.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

those bars look great! what a awesome write up!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 PM
HandleBarLouie
Tourer

A little fairing would really top it off. Looks great, awesome review.....I have been floating around here for months drVtwin and you really contribute quite a wealth of knowledge, well done!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***LA Choppers Club bars handlebar swap how to with pics****