Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage smells like gas

Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 AM
XL Scratch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage smells like gas

Every time I come home from riding and shut the garage, my kitchen, which is right off the garage, and garage smell like gas. I have seen other posts but what I have seen; the comments are about carbureted bikes. I have a 2007 XL1200L that is fuel injected. I just bought it last week and it has 4500 miles on it. I ride it every day and this is not my first bike. I have had a '95 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (first bike) and a '05 Yamaha R6. I did not experience this problem with the other bikes. Is this a Harley thing that I have to get used to? I do not see any leaks. Any others have this issue?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say that there is a leak somewhere, (not necessarly on the bike) but it could be venting if you are having large temperature changes (day/night) and your garage is sealed up pretty good. Maybe lay a piece of clean cardboard under the bike, gas evaporates quickly but will stain the cardboard. Also check your gas cans, lawnmower, weed eater, snow blower etc...

Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I had a garage, I used to park my bike in my apartment hallway. It smelled like gas for hours after. My bike is carbed, though. IDK about the fuelies, but I would imagine this is normal.

I like the smell of gas, personally.

It's a new fragrance. HARLEY is working on the patent as we speak and you should be able to find it at JC Penny in the spring.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Should not smell like gas, there will be a little scent from the exhaust but unless you are running pig rich this should not be the case. Do you fill it up every day? I say wash the bike completely over (with a full tank), and then ride it and park it (without a refuel). See if the odor comes back. If not, you probably spilled some fuel on the bike somewhere along the way.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06

It's a new fragrance. HARLEY is working on the patent as we speak and you should be able to find it at JC Penny in the spring.

I can't stand the smell of gasoline.... now 110 octane race gas burning, now THAT'S a different story!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great smell isn't it...

But then again, besides the garage and carport by the house I have a 'fairly large shed' that is full of bikes, tractors, mowers, etc., so I'm use to the smell of equipment....

Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing beats the smell of nitro in the air at the drags.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem so just started leaving it parked outside when I got back for a couple of hours. Then I just go back out and roll it in. May be a bit of a pain but it's either that or get used to the smell of gas in your house.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM
thegrants
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Before I had a garage, I used to park my bike in my apartment hallway. It smelled like gas for hours after. My bike is carbed, though. IDK about the fuelies, but I would imagine this is normal.

Correct. Ask anyone who has parked in the living room or a hotel room. Temp changes plus a vented system will produce a gas smell.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 PM
XL Scratch
2nd Gear

Not to **** anyone off but there are no temp changes here in Florida right now! It is cold! I used to live in Chicago and I know real cold but I moved to Florida for warm weather not hard freeze warnings every night!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage smells like gas