Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install new exhaust and remove oxygen sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Install new exhaust and remove oxygen sensors?

Okay, so I bought a new 2011 Forty-Eight a few months back and had the dealer order and install the V&H "Blackout" 2-into-1 exhaust, Cobra FI2000 fuel injection module, and a Ness Big Sucker air cleaner.

When I picked the bike up, I had to pay a few bucks extra for oxygen sensor plugs to plus the exhaust. The model Cobra Fi2000 that the dealer ordered was the type that didn't use oxygen sensors, but of course, the exhaust came with the holes for them.

The bottom line is that the bike runs great with absolutely no need to adjust any fuel stuff (IMO.) But I have to wonder if that was the best option or if it would've been better to go with the Fi2000 model that would've used the oxygen sensors?

What's the general thought on this? Does it even matter? Is one option better than the other?

Thanks guys.

Chris

Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

I'd like to point something else out real quick... My "gut" says not to care about this at all, since the bike is running perfectly. I get that.

However, I'm still curious about the differences and what may be considered the better option by some folks.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that the O2s would give a much more accurate tune across the board. A general tune that is based on engine RPM would not be as accurate and create ideal air/fuel mixture as a monitored tune. Just my $.02. I would dyno it if it makes you uncomfortable, they can tell you if the bike is running proper air fuel mixture across the board. Even that though, will not give a 100% real time affect.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im gonna assume that the tuners that use an O2 sensor have the ability to compensate for changes in air/fuel mixture on the fly. I would think the only time something like that would benefit is if you're in an area that sees drastic changes in humidity, temperature, elevation, etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. Like I said, the fact that I bought the Cobra Fi2000 that doesn't use oxygen sensors was actually a mistake not caught (or even thought about) by me OR the dealer parts dude. Not sure why they didn't catch it, but whatever.

The Cobra Fi2000 only has three little dials for adjustments. I've put several hundred miles on the bike with this setup trying to find things that I need to adjust, but I can't come up with anything really. The bike runs fantastic. No popping at all, no sluggish throttle, etc... Just great!

Any other input from anyone?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that would help with getting more power would be putting larger o2 sensors in the exhaust. Then have it dyno'd! You should be fine with what you have though! I am actually getting some pipes for my 2010 48 that dont have o2's in them and no baffles.Exotic Choppers Fuelies. Need to put the power commander on it and then have the bike dyno'd to make it run perfect.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh and the map that gets put into your new pc is just a basic map thats not 100% for your bike, just a close figure. It will run just fine, but can be more fine tuned by a professional on a dyno. getting it dyno'd they can rich'n or lean each cylinder and change the power/torque/rpm patterns and such. Its amazing what a pro. dyno can do. I just got done going to a seminar at my local Harley dealer about this stuff. Cant wait to see how better they will be able to make my bike run after fine tuning it.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
PAsportster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Okay, so I bought a new 2011 Forty-Eight a few months back and had the dealer order and install the V&H "Blackout" 2-into-1 exhaust, Cobra FI2000 fuel injection module, and a Ness Big Sucker air cleaner.

When I picked the bike up, I had to pay a few bucks extra for oxygen sensor plugs to plus the exhaust. The model Cobra Fi2000 that the dealer ordered was the type that didn't use oxygen sensors, but of course, the exhaust came with the holes for them.

The bottom line is that the bike runs great with absolutely no need to adjust any fuel stuff (IMO.) But I have to wonder if that was the best option or if it would've been better to go with the Fi2000 model that would've used the oxygen sensors?

What's the general thought on this? Does it even matter? Is one option better than the other?

Thanks guys.

Chris
HUH ?
O2 sensor plugs so it had the cut out for the 02 , it dd it didnt now its runing with out them ,

it will matter when something happens , VOID warrenty...

im confused , it did have the bung for the o2 , it didnt , put you paid for the o2 plugs ???

Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

^ im with PAsportster if it had the bungs why plug them?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by PAsportster
HUH ?
O2 sensor plugs so it had the cut out for the 02 , it dd it didnt now its runing with out them ,
Yes, just like TenesseeMustangPerf indicated - the tuner adjusts accordingly - O2 sensors aren't required anymore when installed.

it will matter when something happens , VOID warrenty...
No, not necessarily - unless it can be determined that the tuner, or plugging O2 sensors caused damage & didn't he say the dealer installed everything so...dealer's responsible. I've had my bike checked at dealer(s) many times & aftermarket tuner(s) were "never" a problem.

im confused , it did have the bung for the o2 , it didnt , put you paid for the o2 plugs ???
Yes, pipes have O2 bung(s) and they need to be plugged when tuners installed. Other option is to tie-wrap O2 dongle to something & it's not as clean of a look.

Quick Reply: Install new exhaust and remove oxygen sensors?