Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   NHRS kits (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/605332-nhrs-kits.html)

wahlumsurfer 01-31-2011 03:40 PM

NHRS kits

Which would, in your humble opinions, be the better of the two 1250 kits?
The Axtell Cast Iron Cylinders or the Iron Lined Aluminum Cylinders?

Barry Powers 01-31-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer (Post 7856667)
Which would, in your humble opinions, be the better of the two 1250 kits?
The Axtell Cast Iron Cylinders or the Iron Lined Aluminum Cylinders?

My opinion I would like the aluminum iron lined, for the fact it's considerably lighter and won't stay as hot, thus allowing the motor to last longer and run better. But the cast iron are definitely stronger but will be heavier and run a little hotter

2011Deluxe 01-31-2011 03:54 PM

The cast iron Axtell cylinders are extremely stiff and will not distort. This is a much better option.

JayStronghawk 01-31-2011 03:57 PM

Neither is a bad choice but if have a heavy hand on the throttle my vote is for Axtell ..

wahlumsurfer 01-31-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by thegrants82 (Post 7856708)
The cast iron Axtell cylinders are extremely stiff and will not distort. This is a much better option.

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk (Post 7856717)
Neither is a bad choice but if have a heavy hand on the throttle my vote is for Axtell ..

How would the Axtell hold up in Florida heat? I know that the current setup on my Evo engine has it over 300 degrees right now. Would I run into heat issues with the cast irons?

PAsportster 01-31-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer (Post 7856743)
How would the Axtell hold up in Florida heat? I know that the current setup on my Evo engine has it over 300 degrees right now. Would I run into heat issues with the cast irons?

thats little too hot...

wahlumsurfer 01-31-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by PAsportster (Post 7856777)
thats little too hot...

That's what is being reported from the ECU on a Dakota Digital. I'm not sure where it picks it up from, but it's not from the oil tank.

xFreebirdx 01-31-2011 06:15 PM

Your heads and juggs can easily hit 350º+ during normal operating temps.

The aluminum juggs would be fine for Florida.

2011Deluxe 01-31-2011 06:33 PM

Call the guys at NHRS and tell them how you ride. If you ride your bike hard like most sportster owners do then they will tell you to go with the Axtell. How you ride is much more of a factor than you living Florida.

xFreebirdx 01-31-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by thegrants82 (Post 7857400)
Call the guys at NHRS and tell them how you ride. If you ride your bike hard like most sportster owners do then they will tell you to go with the Axtell. How you ride is much more of a factor than you living Florida.

The cast iron juggs are the best out there thats why they cost as much as they do. But he doesn't need to spend that. The Axtell juggs will be fine, even if he was drag racing.

Aluminum: 5lbs (each) lighter with better cooling.

Iron: more rigid (less flexing/warping) with better ring seal.

1200/1250 Use the aluminum

88" or 90" may want to consider iron. When you bore the cases for the larger cyls, it gets quite thin. So having a solid cylinder gives it a little more strength.

Here is a quote from Dan @ NRHS:

Our new NRHS iron lined 1250 cylinder have an incredibly thick liner which is almost as stiff as a full cast iron cylinder yet saves about 5 lbs each cylinder and has better heat dissipation. The liners on these are as thick as a stock 883 cylinder to give you an idea. These are what I recommend for a street ridden bike now.