Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty custom apehanger problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 AM
berzerker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty custom apehanger problems

I tried to find a previous post on my problem and couldnt, so sorry if there is one. I have an 03 custom, it had dragbars with 6inch risers on it when I got it. So recently I bought the burly 12 mini apes and wire/cable kit. Well after starting the install I realized that inside my riser covers there is a ton of electrical plugs/wires. Then I realized that even if I was able to get all of the wireing and connectors out of there that my indicator light strip wiring will be showing and open to the elements. Then I noticed that if I drop my risers down any lower my speedo will be hitting the tank. With the six inch risers there is only about a half an inch from speedo bottom to tank. I have the set up where the tach. Is mounted to the top clamp as well. This is my first time working on a bike and it figures I had to get the one sportster model that doesnt like to except apes. I have never ridden a bike with apes on it, but when I sit on the bike my fists are about as high as my eyes. I assume that will be very uncomfortable right? I would love to just leave the risers the way they are to avoid all of the bs, but I want to beable to ride it too.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM
berzerker
Advanced

So has anyone done this on a custom and if so any help would be greatly aprreciated. Or does anyone ride with there fists level with there eyes and still be able to ride long distance. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 AM
fkaluddite
Cruiser

are you using the stock chrome curved riser?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
berzerker
Advanced

no the risers are straight

Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM
berzerker
Advanced

If any one is willing to go to my profile on here I put three pics of my set up in my album. I couldnt figure out how to put it in this thread sorry.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

His risers aren't stock curved. They're stock straight. 03 was the last year for that.

What I've done in the past was thin the pack out and put the plugs beneath the tank where they are on the 04's & up. I've also extended the wiring down to the headlight bucket where all that crap is on the non-"C" models. It's a mess in there.

You can use that same top riser clamp to retain your indicator lights.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 AM
berzerker
Advanced

So do I have to put the speedometer where the tach is and eliminate the tach because any drop in my risers the speedo wont fit? Also my insrument cluster connector plug will be exposed how do I weather proof it? Or is it designed to be weather proof already? Forever greatful to u guys

Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, it is water resistant. You can put the harness plugs in the headlight bucket and run wires in a loom out to wherever they go so it looks better and helps prevent exposure to the elements.

The speedo can be mounted where the tach goes. You can also buy a bracket to mount it where your upper triple tree fascia bolts.

This is an 09 "C" model I did a while back. The wiring is different but the risers are similar (but curved) and speedo is similar. Close enough to give you an idea.

Stock with drag bars

I used individual shorty risers and made a bracket for the indicator lights

I made a bracket to mount the speedo to the upper tree fascia

I mounted the speedo unit (same as yours) in a chrome gauge bucket I got from Jegs.com that bucket bolts to the bracket I bolted to the upper tree fascia.

And here it is all together

This may not be the look you are going for but the "job" itself is the same.

Last edited by mreed; 02-15-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Gibbs Custom Leather
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a little drinking going on when you built the pipes on that green bike in the background? Maybe a sliiiiiiiight restriction there...lol

Originally Posted by mreed

Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gibbs Custom Leather
Maybe a little drinking going on when you built the pipes on that green bike in the background? Maybe a sliiiiiiiight restriction there...lol
Lol...no. Not at all. That pipe is actually 2 identically tuned individual pipes that just look like one pipe.

Here's a thread on it. I think there's a video in there somewhere.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ugly-pipe.html

Quick Reply: Sporty custom apehanger problems