Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 with peculiar problem.....driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Dictionaaron
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron 883 with peculiar problem.....driving me nuts

I have a 2009 iron 883, i bought it 4 or 5 months ago stock with 2300 miles. It ran great, ive since put on vance and hines shortshots, a heavy breather, and a vance and hines fuelpak. i have had no problems whatsoever with the vance and hines pipes and fuelpak. i did not have the heavy breather to due backorder issues but i recieved it this week and put it on and everything went fine. I took it out for a drive today and everything was fine. On my way home after my stop i got to my house and shifted down to first to pull into my drive way and it made a wierd noise kind of like down shifting to brake at a stop light or whatever but it did it whenever i pulled in the clutch fully. So i didnt think anything of it at the time but i tried to turn off the bike next and clicked the off switch and it wouldnt go off. It just kept making a chugging noise but would not go off. I had to turn the key to get it to go off. Then i tried to restart it and just turning the key into the run position made the bike try to startup. Then i turned it to on and started it up fully and tried to ride down the street and back. I did and when i pulled in the clutch fully it made the same noise but i noticed the headlight dimmed also when i pulled in the clutch fully...after that, same as before. would not go off and when i turn the key to run(even in off) it starts with the chugging noise trying to start....SO i took out the fuelpak thinking it was something maybe with that but it did it with stock config also..... What the heck is going on.....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dictionaaron
I have a 2009 iron 883, i bought it 4 or 5 months ago stock with 2300 miles. It ran great, ive since put on vance and hines shortshots, a heavy breather, and a vance and hines fuelpak. i have had no problems whatsoever with the vance and hines pipes and fuelpak. i did not have the heavy breather to due backorder issues but i recieved it this week and put it on and everything went fine. I took it out for a drive today and everything was fine. On my way home after my stop i got to my house and shifted down to first to pull into my drive way and it made a wierd noise kind of like down shifting to brake at a stop light or whatever but it did it whenever i pulled in the clutch fully. So i didnt think anything of it at the time but i tried to turn off the bike next and clicked the off switch and it wouldnt go off. It just kept making a chugging noise but would not go off. I had to turn the key to get it to go off. Then i tried to restart it and just turning the key into the run position made the bike try to startup. Then i turned it to on and started it up fully and tried to ride down the street and back. I did and when i pulled in the clutch fully it made the same noise but i noticed the headlight dimmed also when i pulled in the clutch fully...after that, same as before. would not go off and when i turn the key to run(even in off) it starts with the chugging noise trying to start....SO i took out the fuelpak thinking it was something maybe with that but it did it with stock config also..... What the heck is going on.....
we used to call that "dieseling"- and it is usually caused only with carbed engines. with injected bikes, when you turn off the ignition the engine just can not continue to run. first off, assume that you are running premium gas? next I would suspect something is wrong with your fuel management system. especially if the bike doesnt run any differently with it connected vs. disconnected.
btw, when you change the sucker you should also change the fuel settings- but first you want to be sure that your fuel management system is working. if it is, and adjustment to it could be the solution.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What you are saying is that as soon as you turn your key on, the starter runs? If that is the case either your starter relay has welded contacts, or you have something wrong in the wiring somewhere (pinched wires). Check your relay first. You can swap it out with another one on the bike and see if it still does it.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Dictionaaron
Stage II

To wanabe, i have the correct mapping for my setup in the fuelpak but even when i uninstalled it i had the same issue with startup and so i eliminated it as the "cause". also i am running premium gas

To Gpsjr10, yes as soon as i turn the key it tries to start(though it sounds a little different that normal starting or running),i was leaning toward the pinched wire idea, the only other thing ive done recently is wash it yesterday, maybe water got into the sealed cavity somehow.though The fact that it dims the light when i pull the clutch may mean its around that area.

General question, there is a 24 month warranty on this year and model correct?(assuming i can get them to honor it)
....thanks for the help

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM
quixote
Cruiser

I agree with Gpsjr10. I'd put my money on it being either one or both of the relays since the problem showed up after washing your bike.
The '07-'09 fuse block is vulnerable to water running down into it causing corrosion of the fuses, relays and fuse blades on the block.

Do a search on this forum (and others) for the words: wash and relay. Then do a search on the words: swap and relay.

Originally Posted by Dictionaaron
..... the only other thing ive done recently is wash it yesterday, maybe water got into the sealed cavity somehow. .....

Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
humbertorosero
6th Gear

check the battery wires, that happened to me the first day that I got the bike from the dealer.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, since you washed it, I'd pull the entire run/start/stop switch assembly apart and blow it dry with compressed air or a hair dryer.

Water in that switch housing could be shorting the start button.

When I wash my bikes, I do it with a squirt bottle and a wet towel. I don't spray it with a hose ever. I've had water get places from washing with a hose that it could never get from having been ridden in the rain.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 AM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So what happend; Fixed??