Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move from Forward to Mid Controls

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
banginTwins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move from Forward to Mid Controls

I am interested in switching my Wife's 2006 883 Custom Forward Controls to Mid Controls as I think it will be a little easier for her to learn to ride and feel more confident while riding for the first year....My question is...what if any part of the factory OEM Forward Controls can I reuse to move them to Mid Controls?

We appreciate any help...

Thanks,
William
BanginTwins

Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 PM
papa_j
Cruiser

The pegs.
Your brake rod will be too long, you won't need your shift linkage(the shifter will attach right at the side) and the clevis' will more then likely not be angled right. I have a set of mids I took off my 07 883L. Don't know if they will work with yours or not, but look it up. If so pm me. They are just sitting in the box right now. I have no plans on going back to mids. If they'll work for you, you could have them for 125(that would include the shipping, providing you are state side). Pm me if your interested. Funny you posted this. I was just about to list some stuff in the classifieds. If these won't work, you should check there before you spend the $$ on new. Alot of good parts just taken off without much wear or miles.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

Bangin....I'm having my mid controls moved to forward controls later this week on my 2011 Iron. They are black......shoot me a PM and maybe I can get you my Mids if I no longer need them.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by banginTwins
I am interested in switching my Wife's 2006 883 Custom Forward Controls to Mid Controls as I think it will be a little easier for her to learn to ride and feel more confident while riding for the first year....My question is...what if any part of the factory OEM Forward Controls can I reuse to move them to Mid Controls?

Thanks,
William
BanginTwins
Maybe we could work out a swap. My nightster has stock mids

Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Vins
Club Member

Originally Posted by banginTwins

Thanks,
William
BanginTwins
I'd let her give it a try with the forwards. You may find she'll prefer this in the long run, anyway. Depending on her leg length, that is. Our riders course provides Buells for folks to train on. Check with your area to see if they provide a smaller bike for training.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Pay attention here

After you mount her some MIDS,,let her sit the bike on the side stand
and try putting her feet down,,,why you ask??
When she stops on the road and her feet go down the Mids can
trip you up If yer not used to em.
Loose pant legs or long boot laces can hang on em and down ya go.

I like mine,,Plus adding Hi-way pegs gives you a leg stretch option

Mids give far better control at super slow speeds and the other end
of riding,,the performance end,,,,,

Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
fd2blk
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my wifes bike 99 883C I had her ride it with the forward controls and she hated it so I swaped to the Mids and I think the only things I reused were the pegs and I think the brake lever but I can tell you she absolutly loved the Mids Vs the forward controls

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it, Forwards are so much better and alot more comfortable. I would not have a bike without forwards and i'm not tall.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah for somebody starting out IMO forwards are NOT the way to go.
For a bit more experienced rider and the obvious comfort factor
they can't be beat.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

If she doesn't know any different, go with the forwards. About the only advantage the mids give at low speeds is the ability to make a very tight u-turn. However, she'll have to be comfortable with weighting the inside peg and putting her butt on the outside of the saddle while sitting straight up as the bike leans. That seems a little more advanced than riding with forwards (no pun intended). Plus, not being able to put your foot down while at a complete stop because your pants leg is caught on a mid-mount peg so the bike goes down and fractures your foot could be a deal breaker for a newbie. Seen it happen. I hated hitting my legs on the mid pegs while backing the bike, too. I tried 'em and took 'em off after a day.
A '99 Sportster's forwards are farther out than an '04 and up (two inches, iirc).
I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a set of used mids.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 02-23-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Nunya

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Move from Forward to Mid Controls