Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 with RSD Clip Ons

Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
ECUtrav
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron 883 with RSD Clip Ons

I promised I would post pictures as soon as I relocated my speedo. I installed the Roland Sands clip on bars, HD Edge Cut grips and shifter peg, and the Autometer gauge clamp. I still have a lot to do on the bike, but I've only owned it for about a month, so I have plenty of time. A problem I ran into when mounting the speedo in the new location was locking the forks to the left side. With the mirrors flipped, I had to remove the left mirror, but the front left turn signal is hitting the speedo about an inch short from full lock. I may have to buy some signal clamps for the forks. Any other suggestions???
BEFORE EXHAUST

AFTER V & H BLACKOUT 2 INTO 1

Last edited by ECUtrav; 03-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
ItsTomFromNorthJersey
Tourer

i love what you did!!! how do you like the clip ons cause i want this set up but i dont want to kill my back so how does it feel for you? please post some close up shots in the light, thanks for the great pics

Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
ECUtrav
Advanced

Originally Posted by ItsTomFromNorthJersey
i love what you did!!! how do you like the clip ons cause i want this set up but i dont want to kill my back so how does it feel for you? please post some close up shots in the light, thanks for the great pics
It doesn't hurt my back at all, just your neck if you ride for a while with both hands on your grips. I've figured out that's why guys on sport bikes ride with one hand and the other on their hip while their cruisin, just have to take breaks. I'm starting to get used to it now tho after a couple weeks, hurting less and less. Oh...I just noticed you have forward controls, that wouldn't be comfortable AT ALL!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
ItsTomFromNorthJersey
Tourer

Originally Posted by ECUtrav
I just noticed you have forward controls, that wouldn't be comfortable AT ALL!
yea i need them tho im 6'3 i would look like a geraffe with mids

Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM
ECUtrav
Advanced

Originally Posted by ItsTomFromNorthJersey
yea i need them tho im 6'3 i would look like a geraffe with mids
Oh I got ya! I guess it wouldn't be a whole lot different from the V-rod set up then, for you at least.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the fork mount for turn signals on the lower triple tree from Drag Specialties. You have to buy a bolt though that isn't supplied in the kit, it is a counter-sunk allen head. I didn't have to remove my mirror on mine for speedo clearance, it only has a 1/2" of clearance though. Did you space out your autometer clamp or just bolt it directly to the tank mounting bolt? I think I have my speedo rotated down more than you have yours as well, I also drilled a hole all the way too the back of the speedo clamp mounting tab so it is as far back away from the bars as possible. My bars are just about as low so not sure if you could make it work.

Last edited by grancuda; 02-25-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
ECUtrav
Advanced

Originally Posted by grancuda
I think I have my speedo rotated down more than you have yours as well, I also drilled a hole all the way too the back of the speedo clamp mounting tab so it is as far back away from the bars as possible. My bars are just about as low so not sure if you could make it work.
I triend rotating it and any way i put the speedo, it was hitting the signal. Do you have pics of your speedo?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:31 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ECUtrav
I triend rotating it and any way i put the speedo, it was hitting the signal. Do you have pics of your speedo?
I can take some pics of that side. I couldn't run my signals either, I was meaning for you to rotate the speedo to allow for room for the mirror.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:34 PM
ECUtrav
Advanced

Originally Posted by grancuda
I can take some pics of that side. I couldn't run my signals either, I was meaning for you to rotate the speedo to allow for room for the mirror.
Oh ok. I might try that, because I REALLY don't want to put mirrors on top of the bars. I really need 2 mirrors for riding in the city and if I move the signals I might have room for the mirror on the bottom left side.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
3skulls
Tourer

My bars are no where near as low as yours but...
Relocate your signals. Try turning the stem of your mirror forward and bringing just the mirror back so you can see. Might give you just a little bit space.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iron 883 with RSD Clip Ons