Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run/Stop mudule help with fender chop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Run/Stop mudule help with fender chop

I did not know what to search for so just wanted to ask. I found a rear fender to chop for my XL50. I want to just use the HD run/stop module for everything like a nightster. I heard that once you remove the taillight the run/stop does not work-is this true? If so how do you get it to work? I also have the HD LED taillight on the bike now if that matters and want to install that on the 08 1200C Also how hard is it to remove the rear fender? Any tricks?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Sarin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed the module on my 05, it works fine with no taillight connection hooked up. I got a wiring diagram from another forum and it was indicated to just cap the wires to the tl, I did that and mine works fine with the factory turn sigs. Not sure about newer yrs but i think several here have done it. If you want the diagram let me know and ill dig it up.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sarin
I recently installed the module on my 05, it works fine with no taillight connection hooked up. I got a wiring diagram from another forum and it was indicated to just cap the wires to the tl, I did that and mine works fine with the factory turn sigs. Not sure about newer yrs but i think several here have done it. If you want the diagram let me know and ill dig it up.
So you just left the taillight unplugged and it's fine? What part # did you use. I was told the lights will not work unless the taillight is hooked up.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I have the module and it works fine with OR without a taillight, it even works fine if the taillight is LED.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I have the module and it works fine with OR without a taillight, it even works fine if the taillight is LED.
The guy that is selling me the fender said when he did the chop on his bike the module did nto work and had to be rewired, but then you and others say it works just fine. I guess I'll try it out.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Yeah if you have it pleae post it or send it to me. My bike is a 2007, but there all about the same in this aspect.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Sarin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here they are there were two options so i posted both. I cant take credit for these they were posted on another forum, but I dont remember who to credit. Part#69463-06
Fits '04-later XL models (except XL883N, XL1200N, XL1200X and '11 XL1200C).
Hope this helps you out.

Last edited by Sarin; 03-24-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I did not know what to search for so just wanted to ask. I found a rear fender to chop for my XL50. I want to just use the HD run/stop module for everything like a nightster. I heard that once you remove the taillight the run/stop does not work-is this true? If so how do you get it to work? I also have the HD LED taillight on the bike now if that matters and want to install that on the 08 1200C Also how hard is it to remove the rear fender? Any tricks?
pretty easy, this is all you'll need. the nightster relay to make your signals running brake lights. part #68278-07 and you'll need to get the guts for your turn signals, the reason for this is because sportsters that don't have the running brake lights like the nightsters only have two wires coming out of the turn signals. nightster turn sigs have 3 wires and the relay harness that i mentioned above has 3 wires you need to splice the turn signals to. they are about $23.50 a piece so you're looking at about $50.00 for 2. the part #68497-07

i found a relay on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-Ha...Q5fAccessories

a brand new one from HD cost about $80.00 so this looks like a good deal. you'll have to so a little bit of soldering and splicing. hope this helped. ride safe!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sorensentyler
pretty easy, this is all you'll need. the nightster relay to make your signals running brake lights. part #68278-07 and you'll need to get the guts for your turn signals, the reason for this is because sportsters that don't have the running brake lights like the nightsters only have two wires coming out of the turn signals. nightster turn sigs have 3 wires and the relay harness that i mentioned above has 3 wires you need to splice the turn signals to.
Why go through all of that trouble and $$ when you can just buy the HD brake / turn / run module for non-Nightster / Irons / 48s for under $60 and use the stock turn signals?

Here they are there were two options so i posted both. I cant take credit for these they were posted on another forum, but I dont remember who to credit.
Well don't those look familiar....AutoCad is great for making quick schematics.

Oh...and those aren't two options....but an overall view of the system (bottom pic you show) and a close-up of the new wiring harness needed (top pic you show)

Last edited by CosmoKramer; 03-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Why go through all of that trouble and $$ when you can just buy the HD brake / turn / run module for non-Nightster / Irons / 48s for under $60 and use the stock turn signals?

Well don't those look familiar....AutoCad is great for making quick schematics.

Oh...and those aren't two options....but an overall view of the system (bottom pic you show) and a close-up of the new wiring harness needed (top pic you show)
you can if you want to keep your stock brake light. what i posted is what you'll have to do if you are going to chop your fender and eliminate your stock brake light. i made the mistake and bought what you're talking about and it didn't work because i chopped my brake light off. i wanted the nightster / iron / 48 set-up, and you cannot get that set-up with the module you are referring to.

Quick Reply: Run/Stop mudule help with fender chop