Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Nightster wont start/fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
tacokid789
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Nightster wont start/fire

Nothing is worse than going oputside at 6:30 am to leave for work and your bike wont start!!!! AHH!!! Well after work today I did extensive searches on issues and common problems and still can't pinpoint my issue.

Rewind....I traveled 12 hours roundtrip 3 weeks ago to pickup my 08 Nightstser. No problems at all until (coincedently), after changing my oil and plugs. The day after I did an oil and spark plug change I rode 15 miles to my parents house and went back outside and bike would't start. I tried pulling plugs and looking to see if they were fouled etc.. nothing. Well I tried several more times to start and bingo, started up. I rode home and no issuies for 2 more days. Well I got stranded at the gym with same issue of not starting. My gf picked me up we went to dinner and she brought me back after 2 hours and wah-lay, it started again. Today same thing happened but after trying and waiting, it still wont start.

I turn bike on, battery is strong and all lights come on and dont dim etc...you can hear the injectors when pushing down the run button but when I press the start button it turns over(engine isnt seized), but it wont start or ignite. Yes Ive checked my plug gap, even put in my old plugs, checked all connections to battery, neg cable to crankcase, etc..etc..Ive checked fuses, took plugs out and rested on cylinder while starting and yes it has spark....later tonighter I tried starting it and it kicked over for a brief second(could hear exhaust start and puff of exhaust came out), then it just went back to cranking over sound...

What are some common issues? Did I do something when changing oil or plugs that Im not aware of? Are the starter relays common to go out like mentioned on other threads, and if so the bike wouldnt puff start over for a split second would it? Anyway after 4 hours of trying to diagnose myself, I am at my whits end and frustrated. Please help or suggest any advice, I'd rather ask for help here than to take it to the dealer and get hosed over.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you take it anywhere I would look for an independent bike shop...much better rates. And as far as the relays go, yes, they don't like to be wet. Would you happen to have hosed your bike down somewhere in that timeline?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 AM
cagedodger
Advanced

Nevermind. You checked everything that it could be. Take that bike to the shop

Last edited by cagedodger; 03-31-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

Has your bike got an alarm with a fob ?if you do then swop out the batery in the fob.Mine lasted exactlly two years on my 08 nightster.H

Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 AM
TimBone
Tourer

Originally Posted by mreed
If you take it anywhere I would look for an independent bike shop...much better rates. And as far as the relays go, yes, they don't like to be wet. Would you happen to have hosed your bike down somewhere in that timeline?
Was going to suggest the same and see if the bike got wet in any way.
Some what of the same happened to wifey's 07 Nightster. We got back from a
trip that rained like hell on us and a few days later the battery was dead.
After "normal" troubleshooting stuff I cleaned and greased every single electrical connection I could find and replaced with a new battery and she has been going strong for over a year now.
Check all the basics and retrace you steps when doing the plugs and maybe something was jarred loose or came unconnected.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
tacokid789
Intermediate

Yes I have been riding in rain, but problems started a few days before that. I don't have an alarm of key fob, and have checked plug connections and electrical numerous times....I just got this bike, I don't wanna take it to a shop already!! .

Go figure the first day in weeks here that it's sunny and above 40 degrees and my bike won't start. Do harleys always breakdown like reputation has it?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tacokid789
Do harleys always breakdown like reputation has it?
No......

Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

You changed the plugs, oil and filter and problem started. Assuming you did something and using my softail background. Check the fluid levels. Not sure but if by chance the oil level is way off you do not have cranking oil pressure the fuel pump relay will not come on. Also were you careful to grab the boots of the spark plug wires when you pulled them off. Its easy to damage the wires by just yanking. Also when you removed the filter is it correct and you did not damage the crank sensor right beside it?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tacokid789
Do harleys always breakdown like reputation has it?

No...

I have an 08 Nighty as well and I've never had a problem...Except for that one time when I pulled the key out in the ACC position! That will kill a battery quick!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
tacokid789
Intermediate

Well update: got home from work today and decided to start bike just to see.....well, it started...??? Weird. Intermittent starting issues really suck. Well looks like I'll drive it until it does it again....drove to Harley but they were closed

Quick Reply: 08 Nightster wont start/fire