Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Idle, Bad Gas Mileage, fouled plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM
nbjonesjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle, Bad Gas Mileage, fouled plugs

Recently installed v/h shortshots and PCV on 2010 Sportster 1200C. After the install I noticed very high idle and horrible gas mileage. I changed the map which helped the high idle a little but my gas mileage went down to 20mpg. Also, my plugs keep fouling. the map change should have solved the rich mix, but i am still having problems. Any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What map was it. In fact, it illustrates how rough match those maps really are.
There are two ways to get it right, Dyno or something with wideband O2 sensors and autotune.
In comparison, with my setup I can get 56 MPG if going easy.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
nbjonesjr
3rd Gear

I got a custom map from fuel moto. They leaned it out. I believe its a variation of M15-010-006. I talked to them again and they said I need to upload the new firmware. I guess I will try this after work.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM
nbjonesjr
3rd Gear

I loaded the new firmware and the issue still prevails. I pulled my air cleaner off and noticed it was wet and smelled like gas. I am really close to ripping the pcv out. If the pcv didnt cost so much I would. I really don't want to take it to the stealer either. What to do what to do

Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

After market Air cleaner ???
are the Vent tubes In the right place ???

Call the Power commander people up,,
Could be a simple set up procedure mistake.

An Oil Impregnated air filter would Kill mileage,,
Could It be an OVER Oiled K&N ??
dirty ??

Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
nbjonesjr
3rd Gear

Air cleaner is stock.
I talked to fuel moto and they advised me to make some adjustments on my own. Atleast to get the idle down anyways. I pulled the air cleaner and I am letting it dry out a little. I also going to try the computer idle reset. If this doesnt work I am going to pull some fuses hoping for a reset. I am assuming the leaner I get the mix the lower my idle will be?
My bike is due for its 1000 mile next week, not sure if the stealer willhelp me out or not. As far as power commander goes, I have no faith in them.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nbjonesjr
As far as power commander goes, I have no faith in them.
Many, many, many people use the Power Commander's and have absolutely no issues with them. However, it could have something to do with the installer, and whomever actually did the mapping input and adjustments. Or, possibly you do have a bad unit.

Persoanlly, I have a Power Commander wit5h no problems. Mine was installed and dyno'd by a local indy shop. The dyno is what is really needed to tune it properly.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
nbjonesjr
3rd Gear

Eventually I plan on getting a Dyno, when the funds are present. If I keep getting 20mpg it will have to be sooner then later

Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Take it in for the 1000 mile service then when you get it back tell them they f***ked something up. They screw so many people it's worth the attempt to screw them.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM
nbjonesjr
3rd Gear

Funny story:
I decided to take the pcv off to see if the bike ran ok without. Once the pcv was off the bike wouldnt turn over. After giving her a little gas she spit a bunch of white and black smoke out. The idle was aweful and bike acted like it was going vomit and started convulsing. after trying to start her for 20 min the battery is dead now. All I get is the dreaded click. I am throwing codes related to the O2 sensors. I better just haul this piece to the stealer and say......I have no idea what happened, which in actual terms i really dont. This blows

Quick Reply: High Idle, Bad Gas Mileage, fouled plugs