Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Nightster engine noise...probably just paranoid (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/633460-nightster-engine-noise-probably-just-paranoid.html)

mwegryn 04-18-2011 09:30 AM

Nightster engine noise...probably just paranoid

I've noticed that when I really open up the throttle hard I notice a loud knock or "tink" sound. It does it everytime, but only after initially opening up the throttle. I'm not lugging the engine, and I use premium fuel. Is it just the nature of the Nightster's engine, or is there something else to be concerned about? I only have 2,500 miles on it, and it had the full 1,000 mile service after break in. Any ideas? Thanks!

camcarvin82 04-18-2011 09:33 AM

What are you calling premiun fuel ? Anything under 91 octane usually isnt enough for most 1200s

wahlumsurfer 04-18-2011 09:36 AM

Have you done anything to modify the bike? Your initial description makes it sound like the engine is pinging.

It's been pointed out here many times that we can only guess to what sounds you are actually hearing. Since we can't accurately diagnose your concern, best bet would be to take it to the dealer or indy and have them evaluate. If something goes wrong down the road you'll have a stronger leg to stand on when confronting them on it. It would put your mind more at ease than anyone claiming "It's normal!" on the forum.

mwegryn 04-18-2011 09:49 AM

I'm run Sunoco 93 almost religiously, otherwise 92. The only thing that was done to it were the SE slip-ons that were installed by the dealer before I bought it. It does sound like maybe a ping or knock. It only makes the sound once after opening the throttle quickly while riding. I can't reproduce it while it's in neutral. and it's by no means a consistent sound. I know the Sporties have the reputation of having noisy engines. I know it's just about impossible to diagnose without hearing it in person, just looking for some ideas. Thanks again!!

wahlumsurfer 04-18-2011 10:39 AM

No problem, just putting a disclaimer out.

I usually do the same that you are doing, but use it to collect ideas to bring to the mechanic to allow for more troubleshooting.

Is the sound consistent while you're at speed or does it only happen once or twice while under hard acceleration? Also, does it happen every time you place it in under hard acceleration?

forrest42 04-18-2011 10:43 AM

my 48 does it too, i figured it was normal and havnt let it bother me

skipperhd1 04-18-2011 11:11 AM

fuel injection!

your fuel injection does have a cheerp!:icon_stitch:

jsrider 08-05-2011 05:35 PM

I have the same sound on my 07 Nightster. Haven't noticed any performance issues associated with it. I was going to have it looked at but haven't yet.

Ergonight 08-06-2011 04:29 AM

Whew. Glad I'm not the only one who wonders about engine noises. :)

Ya, I've got a similar sound on my 07. It's running great so I tried not to worry about it.

Kenny94945 08-06-2011 02:36 PM

I've noticed this too when opening the throttle fully at highway speeds....a ping.
I'm in Calif w/ 91 octane.
Seems to be nature of the machine.

Some Redline motorcycle fuel injector cleaner helped as carbon buildup will produce a ping.