Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

narrow apes vs normal mini apes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
vapervw
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default narrow apes vs normal mini apes

Hey guys i kind of overheard a few things people are getting me for xmas and i heard a few gift cards for a few parts sites were in order so here is the big question. I want to do forward controls grips all the little stuff but i really want to change the bars and i sat on a 72 the other day and absolutely loved it. I have an 05 883L and it just has stock sportster bars and i have to lean a little too far forward. I am only 5'4 but the seat thats on the bike is a little bit higher as well but the bars are just something i know i want to do so my question is with the look of my bike the normal mini apes from sauntee the 12 inch ones or the narrow apes would look better? any pics anyone has of either would be a great help but i have seen a few where the normal mini apes can look a little too wide but im not entirely sure.
TIA
Dave

Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Sensei Jim
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. At least I like them.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Bigdumbhead
Stage II

With a sportster and the narrow front forks it definately looks better to have narrows bars. I have normal mini apes (12")on my bike now that the previous owner installed and it drives me crazy looking at it. They just aren't the right proportion.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 10" Z bars from Licks Cycles with a 29" spread along with 1" risers. Very comfy. Forward controls also. I am 5ft 5".

Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
vapervw
Novice

yea i was thinking of doing zbars but in the end my gripe with the way stock is setup which is still better than my intruder was, is that it has the mids which kinda sit you up and then the bars are just forward enough to make me feel like im leaning waay too far upwards and just not comfy for more than an hour or so, so im thinking the 12 inch apes with forwards should do the trick

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM
ev0lution7
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is mine 10in mini apes

Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by vapervw
Hey guys i kind of overheard a few things people are getting me for xmas and i heard a few gift cards for a few parts sites were in order so here is the big question. I want to do forward controls grips all the little stuff but i really want to change the bars and i sat on a 72 the other day and absolutely loved it. I have an 05 883L and it just has stock sportster bars and i have to lean a little too far forward. I am only 5'4 but the seat thats on the bike is a little bit higher as well but the bars are just something i know i want to do so my question is with the look of my bike the normal mini apes from sauntee the 12 inch ones or the narrow apes would look better? any pics anyone has of either would be a great help but i have seen a few where the normal mini apes can look a little too wide but im not entirely sure.
TIA
Dave
I have the narrow ones on my Fatboy Lo.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

These are HD factory minis. Perfect for me.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdumbhead
With a sportster and the narrow front forks it definately looks better to have narrows bars. I have normal mini apes (12")on my bike now that the previous owner installed and it drives me crazy looking at it. They just aren't the right proportion.
+1. However the mini apes from HD are fine as they don't go past the trees
But once you install apes that belong on a wide glide on your sporty front
End you become "that guy". Lol. Good luck and be happy with whatever
You get for xmas you ungrateful *****. Lol.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
vapervw
Novice

Originally Posted by bmxatv
+1. However the mini apes from HD are fine as they don't go past the trees
But once you install apes that belong on a wide glide on your sporty front
End you become "that guy". Lol. Good luck and be happy with whatever
You get for xmas you ungrateful *****. Lol.
LOL trust me im more than grateful for anything even if itsj ust family time this was just a cherry on top.

Last question on this , i have seen people say yes and no so im asking for a straight answer from people who have done it
12" mini apes 05 sportster 883L do i need all new cables and wiring or just a brake and clutch line, and if i do need just those 2 does anyone have measurements for the ones needed?

Quick Reply: narrow apes vs normal mini apes