Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

improve cornering clearance superlow

Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flash57
Hi i agree our roads on the alps are really nice but to enjoy i actually need a reasonable suspension travel at the rear as Cerv correctly noted

wheel and tyres are great but i def have to change my shocks
Any suggestion ?
thanks
Paolo
12" air shocks from a Street Glide.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
markyt
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need to raise my new super low just gonna try the preload first then diferent shocks

Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by markyt
i need to raise my new super low just gonna try the preload first then diferent shocks
Raising your preload setting does not raise you bike, it simply stiffens the shocks by compressing the spring slighty. It may seem like it raised the bike, but it actually doesn't. Just harder for the spring to compress.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I an a little confused, either you are leaning the bike way over or your weight maybe playing a part in scraping the exhaust. I lean my SuperLow over but have yet to scrap anything. I have forward pegs and apparently do not weigh enough to scrap the exhaust or pegs. The only time my bike scraped the exhaust was went a HD employee who weighs quite a bit leaned the bike over.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
I an a little confused, either you are leaning the bike way over or your weight maybe playing a part in scraping the exhaust. I lean my SuperLow over but have yet to scrap anything. I have forward pegs and apparently do not weigh enough to scrap the exhaust or pegs. The only time my bike scraped the exhaust was went a HD employee who weighs quite a bit leaned the bike over.
I'm about 200 pounds. Only time I've scrapped is in intersections. Even then it's fairly rare.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DizWolf
I'm about 200 pounds. Only time I've scrapped is in intersections. Even then it's fairly rare.
Well then, weight is not the problem. I guess it is how far you lean. I will be surprised if I ever scrap the exhaust unless I bottom out in a dip or uneven roads.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then, weight is not the problem. I guess it is how far you lean. I will be surprised if I ever scrap the exhaust unless I bottom out in a dip or uneven roads.
Yea. This is the extent of my "problem" Not terribly concerned. I know where the limit is, I try to avoid it.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Does not look too bad. Maybe you can buff out the pipes. I found the pegs unless and changed to forwards.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

I am a little confused, either you are leaning the bike way over or your weight maybe playing a part in scraping the exhaust. I lean my SuperLow over but have yet to scrap anything. I have forward pegs and apparently do not weigh enough to scrap the exhaust or pegs. The only time my bike scraped the exhaust was went a HD employee who weighs quite a bit leaned the bike over.
If you haven't scraped while riding, you haven't used or found the bikes lean angle limits.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

My wife bought a new SL a few weeks ago and I have already done a critical survey of it! The footrest spikes came off first, but even then the footrests are way too wide. I may see if I can reduce their overall width, which will improve clearance a little.

The shocks have supposedly 2" travel. So adjust the preload on them to just 1/3 of that. In other words when you sit on the bike, limit the sag to between 5/8" and 3/4". That will give you the best chance of a decent ride.

But the main problem is with the front forks. They have around 4" total travel, but with my wife sitting on it they sag almost 3". That really is crap! It should be about 1 3/8". So the effective front fork travel is not as it should be over 2 1/2", but little more than an inch.

We have yet to tackle our dealer about this, but front fork ride height needs to be adjusted to proper levels. That is where most of the potential for improved ground clearance is.

Last edited by grbrown; 06-03-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Grammar!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: improve cornering clearance superlow