Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Safety

Doin a bar swap and I have my tank and stuff off. I'm noticing that my bike is really really dirty in lots of little places that would otherwise be covered with the tank and seat and such. I'd like to power wash my bike without the seat and tank. My ecm is relocated to a small bag on my swing arm but there are other wires and harnesses there. And what about the connections that are open because of my bar swap. ( my switch wires are all unplugged) Will the water damage any of the wires or connections or can I just go to town? Gracias. (that there means thank'ya in Mexican)

Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior

Iv heard power washing the bike is bad for all connectors and plug wires and all that stuff Id just use some elbow grease just to be on the safe side but thats just my opinion.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never powerwash your bike. I fouled a plug that way. Just use a bucket and a sponge. Or keep it dirty, like I do

Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never ever pressure wash a bike...that's a huge NO NO !!!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Cpitch
Road Master

Thats what I thought! But I bet there will be a few that have yet to chime in that believe otherwise.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha. I saw a dealership with a mini carwash designed for a bike. Bikes lined up waiting for a turn. Water looked like it was under a bit of pressure.

On the farm we power washed EVERYTHING, Tractors, combines, semi's, everything had exposed engines and wires....When we raced dirt track stock cars we used to power wash the car every sun or mon. Just sprayed the engine right off. Never had a problem

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpitch
Thats what I thought! But I bet there will be a few that have yet to chime in that believe otherwise.
I don't understand. So, you believe that it is a bad idea to powerwash your bike, but you are looking for people to tell you it is OK to do it?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I don't understand. So, you believe that it is a bad idea to powerwash your bike, but you are looking for people to tell you it is OK to do it?
O god here we go..

Ive been told that its ok....Ive been told its not ok.

Ive been told its ok by more people.

Ive thought with my own brain, "hey, maybe its not such a great idea, given the fact that there are lots of little wires and plugs that could get wet"

Then I thought, "well but what about all those people that have told me its ok to do it, and nothing will happen"....hmmmmm

So THEN I thought, "why not pose the question to the good people at hdfourms.com?!?!?!"

And here we are.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Trust me , It's OK I do it all the time...I know ALOT of people who do it all the time. Just be smart about it.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Cpitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by Challenger
Trust me , It's OK I do it all the time...I know ALOT of people who do it all the time. Just be smart about it.
What really concerns me is the fact that there are some exposed connections given that my switches and wires have been removed for the bar swap. The horror stories scare me but I dont see any other way to get it really REALLY clean. I'm torn but I think I'm gonna do it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Water Safety