Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the advise from all of you and finally got my springer front end................

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Johnny-5
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took the advise from all of you and finally got my springer front end................

I paid alot more than I wanted to but with the advice of the forum members I bit the tongue and just bought a OEM Springer Front End!

Anyways I just picked this up last night thus the questions regarding the dimensions on the late springers.

Anyways Im reading a few places and its stating that the late model springers (I believe this is a 90's) and just want to know if this is pre-raked 3 degrees? I would love to rake the bike from 30 to 35 degree. Im being told that they have 5 degree rake cups which Ive found but I have a 69 Frame which doesnt utilize the 1" stem. Im not able to find a 1" conversion kit and also raked 5 degree. I believe the highest I found was 3 on a 1" conversion kit. But than it also depends on the springer if its rake or not raked.

Any info on this would be great. Ive attached a picture of the springer I picked up.

Attached Thumbnails Took the advise from all of you and finally got my springer front end................-springer-2-.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll be very happy with that springer. Post a dead on side pic & I can tell you if it's raked...although I don't know of a raked OEM springer.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Johnny-5
Advanced

Ill probably be happy but my wallet isnt! lol

Anyways heres a few pictures. Tried my best to get a good shot. Also looking at it closer it appears to have a raked stem on it and even the top triple tree looks like it too. But what do I know.

Originally Posted by mreed
You'll be very happy with that springer. Post a dead on side pic & I can tell you if it's raked...although I don't know of a raked OEM springer.

Attached Thumbnails Took the advise from all of you and finally got my springer front end................-img_0328.jpg   Took the advise from all of you and finally got my springer front end................-img_0330.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't see the neck stem. I can't tell if it's raked or bent. Gauge the angle of the neck on your bike, install that springer and compare your neck angle with the REAR leg of that springer.

It may not be bent...but that's just what I see in the pic.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Johnny-5
Advanced

I cant install this on the bike because the race I have on the bike is 7/8 so Ill have to buy the conversion kit but would like to pick up a set of rake sets but need to know the angle on this first.

Ive read a few sites and the springer I have is from a FX Springer and that they have a 3 degree de-rake? Not sure what they mean by that?

I can't see the neck stem. I can't tell if it's raked or bent. Gauge the angle of the neck on your bike, install that springer and compare your neck angle with the REAR leg of that springer.

It may not be bent...but that's just what I see in the pic.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Ahh...ok. I didn't notice the fender mounts. FX springers have them and FL's don't. I'm more familiar with the FL's because of just that. It's hard to shave fender mounts without messing up the chrome. It being de-raked will make it look bent. That's quite possible because that's what's making it look bent. But like I said, I'm not familiar with the FX springer so I can't confirm the de-rake. Hopefully you haven't heard that only from the guy you bought it from.

If it is de-raked then that's the opposite direction you're trying to go.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Johnny-5
Advanced

Yea the fender mounts are non removable and will need to be cut in order for me to use it with the wide tire. If I opt to use the fender and maybe a smaller tire it would have worked out. I mean I can modify it but this unit is like brand new and not sure if I really want to mess up the chrome so I may end up selling it and looking again. lol This sucks!

Ahh...ok. I didn't notice the fender mounts. FX springers have them and FL's don't. I'm more familiar with the FL's because of just that. It's hard to shave fender mounts without messing up the chrome. It being de-raked will make it look bent. That's quite possible because that's what's making it look bent. But like I said, I'm not familiar with the FX springer so I can't confirm the de-rake. Hopefully you haven't heard that only from the guy you bought it from.

If it is de-raked then that's the opposite direction you're trying to go.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

What frame are you trying to sell in the classifieds? Does it have a title?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Johnny-5
Advanced

I was told that its a mid 70's Ironhead Frame. No title.

What frame are you trying to sell in the classifieds? Does it have a title?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Johnny-5
Advanced

Ok Ive done some researching last night and pondering on different methods. I was actually tempted on selling it out of fustration but kept searching and Ive found a few places that sell Racked Stems for Springers that you put on and rakes it about 5 degree's. This should resolve the de-raked that this springer has! Ive also considered maybe even spinning the stem the other way making it from -3 degree to +3 degree by just flipping the stem.

Im thinking of doing the aftermarket 5 degree stem conversion so that saves me on modifying the frame!

What do you all think? This way I keep what I have and dont have to look for another springer and less work for the frame modification and since the rake stems vary in different degrees I can figure out what I need to be at.

Quick Reply: Took the advise from all of you and finally got my springer front end................