Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honestly what speed do you average on road trips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
D E Betts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honestly what speed do you average on road trips?

I have to wonder what the thing is with always hearing how a 883 can't keep up with "the bigger bikes" on runs. I have to tell everyone that I have been riding since the late 70's. During these years I always heard from the guy's with harleys how they're bikes were built for the long road. They're bikes just could no way even come close to racing my "rice burner" from light to light. I also noticed that they couldn't keep up on the highway either. Back then I rode Suzuki 550's and then a Kawasaki 550. Those bikes with moderate mod's could not only blast 11 sec quaters. But on the open road could run from Vegas to Laughlin at average speeds of 125. And the top speed was over 150 mph. I never once had anyone on a Harley outrun me on top end period. Not to mention that my last race type bike was a GPz 1100. That crazy thing I don't even know the top speed of. I did a couple times take it to around 180 and had still more to give. My point is this, I now have a 883 with minor work and NOT a 1200 kit. I can easily cruise at 80 to 90, and have had it to 115 on the top. Just how fast do guy's say they cruise on the bigger bikes? I have to tell you that I still have never seen any HD fly by at over 150. If you say a 883 can't keep with you at 80 to 90 for highway runs, how fast do you claim you cruise then? Where are you when you do this, please let me know, I'd like to see it! Admitt it to yourself's, these are cruisers not racers. Honestly, my freind still has the GPz 1100 I sold him. I'm here to tell you that no 1200 V Twin can outrun that bike, so stop talking about the unmatched power of the 1200 over a 883. It's as stupid as claiming any 327 chevy camaro can't beat a 350 camaro. And as for the girl bike talk. Watch NCRA bike race's. Isn't that a girl who is riding one of the fastest bikes ever? I suppose that it's a "girl bike" huh? Sorry, I know by writting this I have ruffled some feather's. Let's just admitt that these pretty, cool and american bikes we all love, are not made to break the sound barrier.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

70-75 MPH depends on the flow of traffic if any at all.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have zero experience but from what I have read I believe it has to do with the fact the 1200's will be at the cruising speed much faster than the 883. Therefore the 883 rider will be lagging behind in a group.
I do believe that the 883 will be plenty for me, but then there is always the 1200 upgrade option down the road.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default average speed

Originally Posted by D E Betts
I have to wonder what the thing is with always hearing how a 883 can't keep up with "the bigger bikes" on runs. I have to tell everyone that I have been riding since the late 70's. During these years I always heard from the guy's with harleys how they're bikes were built for the long road. They're bikes just could no way even come close to racing my "rice burner" from light to light. I also noticed that they couldn't keep up on the highway either. Back then I rode Suzuki 550's and then a Kawasaki 550. Those bikes with moderate mod's could not only blast 11 sec quaters. But on the open road could run from Vegas to Laughlin at average speeds of 125. And the top speed was over 150 mph. I never once had anyone on a Harley outrun me on top end period. Not to mention that my last race type bike was a GPz 1100. That crazy thing I don't even know the top speed of. I did a couple times take it to around 180 and had still more to give. My point is this, I now have a 883 with minor work and NOT a 1200 kit. I can easily cruise at 80 to 90, and have had it to 115 on the top. Just how fast do guy's say they cruise on the bigger bikes? I have to tell you that I still have never seen any HD fly by at over 150. If you say a 883 can't keep with you at 80 to 90 for highway runs, how fast do you claim you cruise then? Where are you when you do this, please let me know, I'd like to see it! Admitt it to yourself's, these are cruisers not racers. Honestly, my freind still has the GPz 1100 I sold him. I'm here to tell you that no 1200 V Twin can outrun that bike, so stop talking about the unmatched power of the 1200 over a 883. It's as stupid as claiming any 327 chevy camaro can't beat a 350 camaro. And as for the girl bike talk. Watch NCRA bike race's. Isn't that a girl who is riding one of the fastest bikes ever? I suppose that it's a "girl bike" huh? Sorry, I know by writting this I have ruffled some feather's. Let's just admitt that these pretty, cool and american bikes we all love, are not made to break the sound barrier.
Trolling?

Your extravagant claims aside--

Knowing ones average (road trip) speed could be useful for planning purposes; average miles/day is perhaps more useful, in practice.

I like the Sporty, and have had memorable times on one, but my Dyna is very much better suited to road trips.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

You asked average speed. I made an average speed from Illinois to Sturgis last year of 65.8 mph. The fast average that I ever had. It was 851 miles.

Had many long trips in the low 60's.

A 883 stock can cruise down the interstate at 75 mph without problem.

Mine is the 1200 but is geared lower like a 883.

Cruisers are for cruising not high speed. What is not to understand about that?

That said the Vrod drag racing model just went past 199 mph in the 1/4 in the pro stock division and they expect with a little more tuning they can pass 200.

A turbo Busa with a lady on it at Bonneville Salt flats went over 200 but it took miles to get up to speed.

There are different types of bikes to do different styles of riding. I don't think anyone would try to campaign a 883 on the moto cross circuit.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Doorstop
5th Gear

Originally Posted by blindrocket
I have zero experience but from what I have read I believe it has to do with the fact the 1200's will be at the cruising speed much faster than the 883. Therefore the 883 rider will be lagging behind in a group.
I do believe that the 883 will be plenty for me, but then there is always the 1200 upgrade option down the road.
If you are stay remotely close to the speed limit it doesn't really matter. A big twin will have more horses to spare but the 883 won't lag behind. Now if you really don't care about speed limits, well then no the 883 won't work for you. Not saying that we all don't want more power or a better chassis sooner or later.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:17 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

just finished a 7000 mile road trip. GPS says 59.3 moving speed. I thought that was pretty darn good for that distance.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Tom_M
Intermediate

A nice cruising speed on my Dyna is around 75 mph my wife's 883 runs there no problem just feels a little more wound out is all. Anything faster without a fairing or windshield is just not that comfortable.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 AM
harvema
Cruiser

man my only problem last when cruising was 6th gear
......or lack of

Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 AM
ezmo
Cruiser

80-100km/h

Quick Reply: Honestly what speed do you average on road trips?