Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL1200C Sportster Custom as a Starter Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
SGT Z
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, this is my first post and I am a new rider, so I thought I might chime in on some new rider insight. I got a 2011 custom a month ago. I was scared to wreck it so I didn't even ride it until the day before my MSF class. Compared to the two small bikes I rode in the motorcycle classes I had taken (I took a class a year ago but never got licensed) the Sportster definitely has some power, but I didn't find it overwhelming. A month later of riding pretty much every day, I still make some rookie mistakes, like letting go of the clutch before shutting the bike off and stalling in 1st, but I haven't come close to laying it down like everyone said I would. They said I was stupid for buying a brand new Harley as my first bike, but I like doing what people tell me not to do. It really wasn't hard to learn to ride at all, maybe because I'm athletic (6 foot 210, college baseball). I'm really glad I got it and not a smaller bike that I now know I totally would have outgrown very soon. Anyway, I've only been riding a month so take what I said for what it's worth.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
domantori
Cruiser

I can relate because I was in a similar situation. I was unsure if the 1200 would be too much for a beginner and asked around work for advice. The consensus was that I would for sure grow out of an 883 and would more than likely grow out of a 1200. I went with the sportster 48 and it has been fine. But, a lot depends on your respect for the bike and knowing your limitations. I started around the neighborhood and then onto side streets, etc. The point is take baby steps and you will gain confidence on each outing. Hope this helps! Good luck and be safe!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You've heard the advice from all those here but I will say this, while you may never lay your bike down, it's probably best to realize that most new riders do, at some point, have a problem where the bike falls over. Thus it may be in your best interest to have a bike that, IF you fall over, you're not going to be heartbroken because you just dinged up your perfect bike.

For me, I went with an older, fairly beat up, Sportster. A 1999 883. I'm 6'1" and 230. It had forwards so I fit the bike okay. At first, it had more than enough power and I DID drop it a couple times when I was learning (too use to bicycles where both levers are brakes and braking while turning isn't a bad thing...had to unlearn that) so I wasn't upset because the bike already had a fair amount of dings when I got it.

The benefit to doing it the way I did was that once I got comfortable on the bike, I could modify it to what I wanted it to be. Since I only paid $2,500 for it and it only had 4k miles on it I had a lot of "growth" room. $3k later it was a 1200 with improved pistons, some light head work, custom paint, powder coated wheels, a number of other modifications, and all mine...not saying this is they way YOU should go, after all I did all my own work and that saved me a ton of money, but it IS another path.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 PM
NovemberRain78
Cruiser

I had a 2009 Sportster 1200 C as my first bike. Bought it right after I took the MSF course. Dropped it the first time I took it out, but after a few rides I got more and more comfortable on it. I think it was a great first bike for me, but I caught the bigger bike bug after a year and a half and traded it in for a 2011 Wide Glide last week. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Neutered
6th Gear

i asked the same question just a couple months ago. Everyone said i'd probably outgrow and 883... i bought 2011 Forty Eight (1200) I love it and couldn't be happier.

It was my first bike ever, i had only ridden a mini bike once, drunk at a party before i bought it. I bought it on a monday took the class on tuesday/wednesday. It was a gamble but i couldnt be happier. The only thing you really need to do is RESPECT the power of the bike and respect the rules. I've put 2,500 miles on it in the 7 weeks since i bought it you'll love it, the only thing i sometimes wish i had was a sixth gear..ugh.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM
cdkyle
Advanced

Well, I got my first bike around Christmas, 1200 Custom. I have taken it really slowly. Neighborhoods and side streets mostly at first. Have been venturing out a little. Took a 34 mile round trip a couple of weekends ago on an old highway. Great ride.

But, I laid mine down the other night. Went for a short ride after a couple of beers, (Lesson #1, never ride and drink.) Eased into a parking lot with a fairly good incline. Went to ease forward to park. I guess the bike rolled backwards and down I go and I may have hit the front brake. It all happened so fast. Bike was not hurt as I yanked her up pretty quickly. But I am sore as hell. I have played a lot of sports over the years and thought I was doing really good with taking it slow and the learning process. But, dam I am hurting (fairly good bruise on forearm and a nasty strawberry.) Of course I will get over it. But its making me think that at almost 54 years old I shouldn't be on this bike. I have seriously been considering selling it. I really enjoy riding the Sporty, but I cant even think about a real laydown. I was going 0 miles per hour and hurt like hell. What if I was actually cruising? I know, I shouldn't be such a wuss, but I have a lot of people depending upon me, family, work, etc.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkyle
Well, I got my first bike around Christmas, 1200 Custom. I have taken it really slowly. Neighborhoods and side streets mostly at first. Have been venturing out a little. Took a 34 mile round trip a couple of weekends ago on an old highway. Great ride.

But, I laid mine down the other night. Went for a short ride after a couple of beers, (Lesson #1, never ride and drink.) Eased into a parking lot with a fairly good incline. Went to ease forward to park. I guess the bike rolled backwards and down I go and I may have hit the front brake. It all happened so fast. Bike was not hurt as I yanked her up pretty quickly. But I am sore as hell. I have played a lot of sports over the years and thought I was doing really good with taking it slow and the learning process. But, dam I am hurting (fairly good bruise on forearm and a nasty strawberry.) Of course I will get over it. But its making me think that at almost 54 years old I shouldn't be on this bike. I have seriously been considering selling it. I really enjoy riding the Sporty, but I cant even think about a real laydown. I was going 0 miles per hour and hurt like hell. What if I was actually cruising? I know, I shouldn't be such a wuss, but I have a lot of people depending upon me, family, work, etc.
Get back on that bad boy. I'll tell you a little story about the most embarrassing moment of my life (this week.) Riding the same route every day for 6 mos., I came to a red light and started slowing and gearing down. I got to 1st, and was so slow that I put my feet down. The cop moved forward across the side street. And, suddenly, my light changed to green. I was balancing on the bike, so my only thought was to complete the stop, even on a green light.

As all this was happening, I looked down, and the handlebars got turned slightly to the right. Because my feet were already off the pegs, I squeezed the front brake. Well, I first slid forward on the seat. Then, I was kind of standing, straddling the bike. It started leaning right, because of the wheel being turned, and my right leg was too close to the bike to get leverage. Without regard for my pinched spine, I held that bike up at a 60* to 70* angle for at least 2 min. After a valiant fight to get it upright, I decided to lay it down, which I did very slowly. The only thing I noticed was street dust on the tip of the hand brake lever.

At the end, of course, my leg got trapped, so I kind of tumbled out of the predicament. As I jumped up and squatted next to the bike to lift it, I was surrounded by 3 guys asking if I was OK. They asked me all kinds of questions, like whether I had been drinking, etc. (I hadn't been.) They helped me back on the bike, which wouldn't start, right away. I duck-walked the bike onto the sidewalk and rested it there for a couple of minutes, then restarted it. I felt a little like I had a mild case of shock, and on the ride home I felt a little insecure. Also, pretty sore.

After going over the incident, understanding what I did wrong, and settling my mind that I understood what I would do in that situation next time, I rode that same route. The situation has happened since then, but I handled it just as I had planned so that it went without problems.

I am 60. I have arthritis and a pinched spinal cord, which causes weakness in my legs and back. I had never been on a motorcycle prior to taking the safety course, last year. I have 2500 miles of riding experience, 2k on my 1200 custom.

My riding style is fun, but laid back, so I find that I am most vulnerable at very low speed (I understand this is true of many riders.) Attacking my weakness, I got the Paladino dvds, and I am practicing slow manuevers. Head up, friction zone, rear brake, counter-balance. I feel more confidence after every good practice.
Good luck.

Last edited by boro; 06-15-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you feel comfortable on whatever you learned on. If not, then NO! If so, then I say go for it, but take it slow. Regardless of what some might say, the 1200 has quite a bit of power. If you go too small, you will get disappointed quickly. Too big, and you may intimidate yourself too much and lose the desire to ride. Does your local dealer rent sporties? May be worth renting one for a day.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
cdkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by boro
Get back on that bad boy. I'll tell you a little story about the most embarrassing moment of my life (this week.) Riding the same route every day for 6 mos., I came to a red light and started slowing and gearing down. I got to 1st, and was so slow that I put my feet down. The cop moved forward across the side street. And, suddenly, my light changed to green. I was balancing on the bike, so my only thought was to complete the stop, even on a green light.

As all this was happening, I looked down, and the handlebars got turned slightly to the right. Because my feet were already off the pegs, I squeezed the front brake. Well, I first slid forward on the seat. Then, I was kind of standing, straddling the bike. It started leaning right, because of the wheel being turned, and my right leg was too close to the bike to get leverage. Without regard for my pinched spine, I held that bike up at a 60* to 70* angle for at least 2 min. After a valiant fight to get it upright, I decided to lay it down, which I did very slowly. The only thing I noticed was street dust on the tip of the hand brake lever.

At the end, of course, my leg got trapped, so I kind of tumbled out of the predicament. As I jumped up and squatted next to the bike to lift it, I was surrounded by 3 guys asking if I was OK. They asked me all kinds of questions, like whether I had been drinking, etc. (I hadn't been.) They helped me back on the bike, which wouldn't start, right away. I duck-walked the bike onto the sidewalk and rested it there for a couple of minutes, then restarted it. I felt a little like I had a mild case of shock, and on the ride home I felt a little insecure. Also, pretty sore.

After going over the incident, understanding what I did wrong, and settling my mind that I understood what I would do in that situation next time, I rode that same route. The situation has happened since then, but I handled it just as I had planned so that it went without problems.

I am 60. I have arthritis and a pinched spinal cord, which causes weakness in my legs and back. I had never been on a motorcycle prior to taking the safety course, last year. I have 2500 miles of riding experience, 2k on my 1200 custom.

My riding style is fun, but laid back, so I find that I am most vulnerable at very low speed (I understand this is true of many riders.) Attacking my weakness, I got the Paladino dvds, and I am practicing slow manuevers. Head up, friction zone, rear brake, counter-balance. I feel more confidence after every good practice.
Good luck.
Thanks, Boro

Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Non11
Cruiser

Just went through the adjustment to a new sporty when I picked up my 08 1200 low 2 months ago. Few things that were on the top of my list.

Clutch control - that bike does not like to slouch around in first gear under 15 mph without nice clutch control.

Turning - make sure you look where you want to go and keep that head up.

Weight - How heavy even the smallest of Harley's can be. I've lifted weights for a majority of my life. I can throw this bike around pretty easily and stop it from touching down even when it tips completely to one side while straddling it, but it takes every bit of strength I have and leaves you pretty sore. Learn to manage the weight of the bike and stay vigilant about not doing things that will make the bike try to flop on its side.

Quick Reply: XL1200C Sportster Custom as a Starter Bike?