Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?

This question is undoubtedly because I am (a) a newbie and (b) not a mechanic by nature. I got my 2008 XL1200C about 4 weeks ago. I started reading this forum about a month before that. It seems everyone has done some mods on their bikes or at least plans to do so soon. My bike had a few safety and comfort mods on it when I got it--Sundowner seat, auxilliary lights, LED tail light, bags--but nothing performance related that I can tell. I've put about 1000 miles on it since I bought it and I love the way it rides. (OK, a 6th gear would be nice on the highway, but besides that, I think it's great.) I also like the looks of the bike. What am I missing. or will I figure it out in time? Are there others out there that like their bikes as they are?

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there! (I am the proud dad of 3 grown sons--27, 25 and 20.)

Last edited by TKDKurt; 06-19-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I have seen, Most people that own the Custom model, tend to put on windshield, bags and highway bars, aux. light bars and all the chrome they can find. (Basically a mini bagger) Everyone else tends to go their own direction. It seems that the Sportster is the easiest to turn into many different styles, Bobber, Chopper, Café racer, Rat bike, etc. with very little effort. Also there is alot of creativity and skill on here for ideas.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 06-19-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like that color - and good choice buying the 1200. Mine's an 06 Custom. In time I grew tired of what it was. Did a little here, little there. Didn't have much money so I took the cheap, homemade route on a lot of things. This is my first bike. It turned out looking like a beat-up cafe racer and I'm pretty happy with it.

It all depends on the person. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it comes from what your riding history is. If you're basically new to riding or getting back on a bike after a long hiatus, there really isn't the perceived need to make performance enhancements. The Sportster in and of itself is a cool, fun bike. If you've been riding for a while, you tend to strive for continuous performance gains.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I absolutely feel the need to modify.

When I was a little kid I made models different than the box, when I got a little older we stripped our schwinn bicycles to the bone and put on solo seats. Every car or motorcycle I've ever owned has been subject to "testing". Machines are only FAST for a month, then somehow they get slow again.

I got a little 48 so I could have a toy that wasn't race oriented. I figured that way I'd simply get an exhaust that rumbles and cruise around just chillaxin'...

...Three weeks later I want to strip the thing to it's frame and put it back together with twice as much motor and half the parts. At least I have a good woman who can remind me of what exactly the damn plan is regarding my new toy, for the times when I loose my marbles in an avgas fueled delusion of mechanical grandeur. I gotta remember to just get the exhaust, the air cleaner, the ied's, and then just remove stuff, clean up some wiring, relocate a few items, change the handlebars, drop the front signals, shave the rear signals, make a seat, upgrade the brake pads, change out the light, get different grips...

Save yourself perhaps, for me it is hopeless.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 06-19-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 AM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of people do mods on their bike just because others do it. I've read about people buying a new Sporty, riding it home from the dealership and then immediately starting every single mod they want.

I did something similar when I first got into guns. Read a lot about 1911 mods and did them all without really getting to know my gun but turns out the mods I made would have been the ones I would have done if I had taken the time to shoot more and just change the stuff that I didn't like or felt I wanted to improve on.

I learned from that experience, and with my bike, I ride it a lot. Then I get to know what I like and what I dislike and try to make the mods based on that. Personally, I'd say 80% of my mods are performance related and not just for looks. If something looks cool but hinders performance, I personally wouldn't do it.

Sound like you're happy with how the bike looks and how it performs. I'd say you're the lucky one since your wallet won't suffer so ride on and put on the miles and in time you'll know exactly what you want to change, if anything.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:13 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may find something you want or cant do without or maybe you bought the perfect bike for you right off the bat. Enjoy the ride .

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll modify as you see fit. You don't like this, so you'll replace or tweak it. hat works great, so you leave it alone. Ultimately, teh end result comes down to teh type of person you are, and teh riding you do.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 AM
DizWolf
Cruiser

So far I've only changed out a few cosmetic things, and a few things for comfort/necessity. Overall I'm happy with my bike as is. I enjoy riding it, and never feel underpowered. That said, over the winter I'll be changing out the exhaust, a/c, and doing something with the fuel management. Why? Just my nature to change things. One of the things I like about the bike is how easy it is to go in so many directions. Each time it fits me a little better.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

I saw my bike and loved it right away but immediately wanted to mod it to make it look more like what I imagined a Harley should look like.

The more I do the more I wanna do. I think Harleys look good stock, but are amazing bikes because you can do whatever you want with them. Some people change it all, some people keep it completely stock.

I do believe that a part of me mod the bike to tell it apart from others'. And a big part of me mod it to make it even more enjoyable to ride.

When I first saw Harleys I loved the Bobber look and thought that's what I wanted. I immediately thought of Harleys being bikes that look very personalized.

If you like your bike the way it is, perfect. I saw my bike and immediately noticed what could be done to make it more my own.

Quick Reply: Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?