Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
FlatIron
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
No sweat, I just saw that coming. It was meant entirely tongue-in-cheek and/or self-deprecatingly, really. I forget that these things don't translate well to print/internet very well...
Yes, that is why texting and forums suck... but good thing we have these great smilies to ease the tension:ic on_dance-disco:

Just changed my wording a bit and searched again, found the other thread about this subject and saw the mess that had come out of it... either way thanks for your advice.

i will probably only do wit when i want to have a little more fun going fast...er

Last edited by FlatIron; 06-21-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatIron
that is why texting and forums suck...
saw the mess that had come out of it... either way thanks for your advice.
you are correct sir. sometimes what's left to the imagination get's all misconstrued.....

the mess is what i was referring to....not posting without searching first, we've all done that.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlatIron
im sorry i messed up in my description, yes i came off the throttle when shifting, figured that was a give in.
I did use the search but didn't find any threads that really answered my question. Sorry for being a pain in the *** Newb
Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that WOT stood for Wide Open Throttle. You mentioned it on two occasions, so I don't know how we were to assume that you weren't at WOT when you shifted, when you seem to have gone out of your way to say you were.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
FlatIron
Tourer

Originally Posted by X04D
Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that WOT stood for Wide Open Throttle. You mentioned it on two occasions, so I don't know how we were to assume that you weren't at WOT when you shifted, when you seem to have gone out of your way to say you were.
Yes Exactly, assuming we all know how to ride a motorcycle... you would need to let off to shift, even if you are WOT

Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 PM
FlatIron
Tourer

Originally Posted by bmxatv
you are correct sir. sometimes what's left to the imagination get's all misconstrued.....

the mess is what i was referring to....not posting without searching first, we've all done that.
Yeah i figured it out when i read the other one haha... sorry.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightly toe up on the shifter putting pressure on it and when you are ready to shift just let off the throttle momentarily and she should slide right into gear. Don't force it.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys will venomously defend the brand and type of Oil they use, even to the point of thinking everyone else Is stupid for Unsing what Is shurly a sub par product.

Some riders think the world has ended when they drop a bike at low speed,,
well I can see that one XD

I cannot Imagine needing that last ounce of speed you get from clutchless shifting
that you could only benefit from at the drag strip.
Considering that anyone could Miss the mark just a bit and chip a gear.

I hear splitting the case Is alot of work,

Just sayin.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Osco
I cannot Imagine needing that last ounce of speed you get from clutchless shifting that you could only benefit from at the drag strip.
Just sayin.
wow osco.....we finally agree on something. ya see, if you just break down your posts to the meat and potatoes you're pretty likable. lol......just bustin' dude, couldn't help myself. we're all family here.....

Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
JuniorNasty
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to shift without clutch on my sport bikes all the time. Judging how the gears go in on the Harley I am not sure I would attempt it personally...

Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Charles Martin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently had my 2018 Street Bob delivered. Was clutching, and discovered the clutchless shift lol. Mine, it's a lot like a big truck. Apply gentle pressure to the shifter while letting out of the throttle and there she goes.

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch?