Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Store Your Bike Outside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey OP,,dunno bout your climate but down here In hot humid Florida
a bike cover that gets rained on can stay damp fer along time, cause rust.

Most often happens when a coverd bike sits in the shade.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the first 6-7 years I owned a bike, I didn't have a garage, so it was parked outside spring thru fall. Stored in a shed during winter. Never had any issues.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Woweh
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocJ
I am currently renting a storage unit. I have all my bicycles in it. lol! My main fear of putting the bikes in there is that you're technically not supposed to put flammable objects in them. By flammable, I mean anything that could ignite a spark. And, the bikes being full of gas and whatnot...well...

The apartment IS on the groundfloor. But, again, there isn't even room inside for a motorcycle to sit. Potentially, I may be able to get one out to the patio, but the apartment is on a slop, making it a "groundfloor/second story" apartment. And, I'm not sure I trust the patio to hold the weight. I mean, apartments are not well known to be solid structures.

I keep saying, I don't know how the bikes survived. Of course, they were covered with insulation and debris, but they were still standing with all their fenders attached. No damage has been found on either of them.

I think...maybe I'll ask my next question. If it is really a bad idea to bring them to Springfield, should I just sell them? The bikes are at a Harley dealer, so I can put them on sale for consignment, and then buy new ones when I finally get settled. I don't know, but it makes me crazy not having them here, but it also bothers me to no end the thought of leaving them exposed. Not sure what to do.....

Thank you for all the kind words. This experience has been really rough. It's good to have people support you.
Why don't you wrap them serpants/pets you have around the bars for protection?? sheeesh. That should keep anyone without a Gun, the F..k away....Get a Dog/Cat...For crying out loud, snake????? WTF...KK, barring my advice, park them out front with your pets attached, believe me you will either have bullet holes on your bikes OR they will be untouched, If me the Prior.....but that is me...I don't hate snakes but I don't cross their line, they don't dare cross to my side... I Make that clear with my Mongoose as a pet!!!! Ever seen a Mongoose EAT a snake...lol... if not you should!!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DocJ - good luck with getting your life back together. If it were me, I would not want to do it but I would sell them. I have been in similar situations moving around when I was in the service and it wasn't possible to take my bike with me. It hurts, but it all goes away when you get the new one. Kind of like losing a good girlfriend then finding a better one!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Years ago when I did not have a garage I bought a5x8 enclosed trailer .It had a ramp and the bikes stayed out of the elements and were always close .

Old 06-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I got myself a tent with a rain cover from walmart, set it up in my driveway and drive my eg in and zip it up.