Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last straw from the dealership where I bought my bike...

Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The last straw from the dealership where I bought my bike... WARNING: NOVEL SIZE

First off, I had no opinion one way or the other which of the three dealerships near me I purchased my bike from when I was shopping for it. I went to the one that had it, thought about it for a week, told them I wanted it and they let me know it was sold but that they could locate another in that color.

They did what they said and got my bike in the night before I was to pick it up. They did the usual BS and tried to sell me the service plan etc., but mostly it was a pretty straight-forward transaction.

First experience with the service department:
I went in because first one, then the other rear running light stopped working. While I was there I talked to one of the tech's about my 1k service and lubricants. He told me that Syn III was better than AMSoil and that pretty much let me know that either he's been living under a rock or that he was assimilated by the "H-D only" collective. BTW; Apparently a filament had broken in both tail light bulbs and I couldn't see it when I pulled the bulbs earlier that day. Turn signals worked, brakes worked, running lights didn't.

Second and final experience with the service department:
I am close enough to schedule the 1k service but I am pretty adamant about using AMSoil for the motor, as well as doing things like inspecting the plugs, trans fluid, brake fluid check etc. myself. The SAME F'n guy is at the counter. He says: "If you do anything to your bike and you aren't a CERTIFIED H-D mechanic (pointing to his cute little patches on his sleeve) you will likely void your warranty, I can only recommend that you have all of your services done by a certified H-D technician." I thought he was laying on the lines because it was his job so I probed again with another fairly intelligent question: "What about the part in the owners manual that refers to the service intervals and had the key that states; 'Should be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, unless you have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically qualified'" ?

This guy tells me that "you can try to twist words around however you want, but if an H-D tech doesn't do it you are on your own regarding the warranty".

I've been building **** that goes fast in a straight line, around corners or both on 2-4 wheels since as far back as I can remember. My wall of shame has three parts on it that failed because of my negligence. It happens to the best of us, but to tell me I'm twisting those words around is RETARDED. If I have the tools, and I have the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (otherwise known as data) the only thing that could be questioned is mechanically qualified. Ok, so Carrol Smith I'm not, but I'm fairly F'n qualified to turn some wrenches and use the right threadlock, tq spec or anything else involved here.

MY RANT IS OVER. I will describe the conversation I had with the technician at the shop I wish I would have bought my bike from:

ME: I want to do most of the service myself, but I want you guys to check the steering head bearing, critical fasteners and the like, and give it a go down the road. I'd like to change my own fluids and such. I was told by this other shop that I would be voiding my warranty, though the manual states: "(red quote above)"

TECH: Yeah, that is no problem, if something fails because you cross threaded something or used the wrong weight of fluid your warranty wouldn't cover it but if you are capable of doing it and keep receipts/records you are good.

ME: That's good to hear, out of curiosity do you happen to have anything against AMSoil ?

TECH: That stuff is really good, lots of guys here use it. I saw that Erik Buell had partnered with AMSoil for their race team.

ME: I'm at 750 miles now, are you guys about a week out?

TECH: Yeah pretty much a week.

ME: Sweet, I'll call the end of next week and set up an appointment, thanks.

Hmm. If only they would have had a 48 when I called them, perhaps I wouldn't have given money to a company that employs a complete idiot. The good part is that when it's time to buy my GF a bike next summer I know where I'm not going. She is 100% certain of buying a H-D too.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 07-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen brother. There are some folks around here that drink the very same kool aid.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Having run a car dealership for 22 years, I have to say in all fairness that the techs have to watch what they say. They pretty much have to follow the factory line, since there are the idiots who can't follow simple instructions and the lawyers that love to sweep up after them who make things tough for the owner/mechanic who does have some real ability and some real common sense. The first tech probably went too far, but he probably was just spouting was he was told to say. The second tech seems like a much more reasonable kind of guy. He didn't say you could use Amsoil, but he didn't say you couldn't, either. He did a good job of straddling that fence. Like you, I'd be patronizing the second dealership and saying adios to the first one.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a guy in the parts dept at our HD dealer like that. He thinks his opinion is the only one and points to the "certification patch" on his shirt when cross examined with logic. I just smile and walk away.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Shadow_otw
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should at least give the owner a call. They cant correct what they don't know. Give them a chance to do the right thing...idiots are everywhere, and we can split to a new place or give one shot to help fix it.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my brother bought a chevy hhr,it broke a tie rod end,chevy said it is a wear part and isnt covered under warranty,they wanted something like $400 to fix it,they told him that it had to be fixed by them,the place that sold the car,or the entire warranty would be void..i told him that is illegal under federal law but he didnt listen to me..i was suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha, triumph, and motoguzi certified.. all 5 certifications took 1-3 days of seminars to achieve.. worked on harley, honda, tomos, kymco, and several others with no certification but the shop claimed i was..you don't even need to be compliant, just show recipts of oil,filters,...bought, and not mess anything up in the process.even then i saw a 2 year old bike with factory oil and a blown engine, and a bike with 3/4 of the tank full of water covered under warranty

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

In life you need information to take care of business. As a vehicle owner the first thing you should arm yourself with it the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Google it and make a copy. In essence the law states that a manufacturer can require a purchaser to use their materials and services IF they do it at no cost to the owner.

I have been to shops that had the Act in print form to hand out to the customer. That is a good shop.

Other parts of the Act deal with modifications. A claim for repair on a modified vehicle can only be denied if the failure was a result of the mod. More importantly it is on the manufacturer to prove the fact not the owner.

The other thing is semantics. There is only one situation where a warranty is voided. Say you have a new bike and it is totaled. Someone buys the salvaged bike and restores it. Any salvaged vehicle does have a voided warranty.

The correct wording for all other cases is the claim for warranty service is denied. The warranty is a written contract between the factory and the buyer with conditions spelled out and a time period.

If you put cams and a blower on and run nitrous resulting in the heads blowing off. The repair claim is denied. The balance of the warranty exists and you rebuild the motor and find that your stereo went out. The radio is still under warranty. Or a fork tube develops a leak.

I have had over 130 vehicles in my 70 years and have compelled a number of dealers to take care of business over the years. The ones that lie, cheat and holler the most are HD dealer and Chevrolet Corvette dealers.

I buy a new HD every year. I do my own services. My dealer knows that if I hear one stupid comment about my doing the service at his business, he will never see me again. I know he won't miss me but he will cry if he looses access to my wallet.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-08-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 AM
viperashes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Sporty
There's a guy in the parts dept at our HD dealer like that. He thinks his opinion is the only one and points to the "certification patch" on his shirt when cross examined with logic. I just smile and walk away.
Sounds like the dealer at my local gun shop too...

"You can't argue with an idiot". Nuf' said.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me if you open your mouth properly,results will be obtained.Society is very customer oriented today and every business will kiss your ***.You could even get free stuff while they fire a bone head.I got enough oil and 2 filters to do mine and my wifes bikes.Why because the parts counter waited on people they knew ahead of me.I called the sales manager and complained 2 weeks after buying my bike.I also get waited on in turn and they are very polite to me.The owners son (store manager) apoligized to me.He also thanked me for bringing it to his attention.Oh and I named the problem employees by the name tags.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo666
Trust me if you open your mouth properly,results will be obtained.Society is very customer oriented today and every business will kiss your ***.You could even get free stuff while they fire a bone head.I got enough oil and 2 filters to do mine and my wifes bikes.Why because the parts counter waited on people they knew ahead of me.I called the sales manager and complained 2 weeks after buying my bike.I also get waited on in turn and they are very polite to me.The owners son (store manager) apoligized to me.He also thanked me for bringing it to his attention.Oh and I named the problem employees by the name tags.
tattletale.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The last straw from the dealership where I bought my bike...